Extending a File System Partition for Windows XP

=?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=

      12th Aug 2006
Hi,

I am trying to extend the capacity of my File System Partition (C Drive).

I have tried to use the [extend] function in DiskPart, but it keeps saying:
DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.

It is a Basic disk (not dynamic) and I have read somewhere that you can't
extend the filesystem, but then read in numerous other places that you can
with FSEXTEND.EXE.

I have tried to find this file but can't obtain it, and everyone says that
they have tried to get it from Microsoft but that they don't know anything
about it.

Can anyone help me with this, as when I purchased my computer it was split
into two partitions and the file system is very small compared to the other
partition.

The file system is NTFS

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Kind Regards,

Grant.

Kerry Brown

      12th Aug 2006
You can't extend the system partition with the built in tools in XP. You
need third party software.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Grant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to extend the capacity of my File System Partition (C
> Drive).
>
> I have tried to use the [extend] function in DiskPart, but it keeps
> saying: DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
> Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.
>
> It is a Basic disk (not dynamic) and I have read somewhere that you
> can't extend the filesystem, but then read in numerous other places
> that you can with FSEXTEND.EXE.
>
> I have tried to find this file but can't obtain it, and everyone says
> that they have tried to get it from Microsoft but that they don't
> know anything about it.
>
> Can anyone help me with this, as when I purchased my computer it was
> split into two partitions and the file system is very small compared
> to the other partition.
>
> The file system is NTFS
>
> Thanks in advance for any help on this.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Grant.

=?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=

      12th Aug 2006
Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Do you have any suggestions on any third party solutions (preferrable free,
but any suggestions would do)

Kind Regards,

Grant.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> You can't extend the system partition with the built in tools in XP. You
> need third party software.
>
> --
> Kerry
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> www.VistaHelp.ca
>

> Grant wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to extend the capacity of my File System Partition (C
> > Drive).
> >
> > I have tried to use the [extend] function in DiskPart, but it keeps
> > saying: DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
> > Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.
> >
> > It is a Basic disk (not dynamic) and I have read somewhere that you
> > can't extend the filesystem, but then read in numerous other places
> > that you can with FSEXTEND.EXE.
> >
> > I have tried to find this file but can't obtain it, and everyone says
> > that they have tried to get it from Microsoft but that they don't
> > know anything about it.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this, as when I purchased my computer it was
> > split into two partitions and the file system is very small compared
> > to the other partition.
> >
> > The file system is NTFS
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help on this.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Grant.

=?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=

      12th Aug 2006
Hi Kerry,

I got this information from the internet.

This hotfix includes a new Diskpart.exe utility command (extend filesystem)
that you can use to extend the file system only. After you install the
hotfix, to extend the file system only, type the following commands at the
Diskpart prompt:

DISKPART> select volume #

Where # is the NTFS volume number of the volume where you want to extend the
file system.

DISKPART> extend filesystem

I got it from: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;832316

It seems (from a number of people's responses) that this works quite well.

I just can't obtain the FSEXTEND.EXE file which is the hotfix.

Kind Regards,

Grant.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> You can't extend the system partition with the built in tools in XP. You
> need third party software.
>
> --
> Kerry
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> www.VistaHelp.ca
>

> Grant wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to extend the capacity of my File System Partition (C
> > Drive).
> >
> > I have tried to use the [extend] function in DiskPart, but it keeps
> > saying: DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
> > Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.
> >
> > It is a Basic disk (not dynamic) and I have read somewhere that you
> > can't extend the filesystem, but then read in numerous other places
> > that you can with FSEXTEND.EXE.
> >
> > I have tried to find this file but can't obtain it, and everyone says
> > that they have tried to get it from Microsoft but that they don't
> > know anything about it.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this, as when I purchased my computer it was
> > split into two partitions and the file system is very small compared
> > to the other partition.
> >
> > The file system is NTFS
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help on this.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Grant.

Kerry Brown

      12th Aug 2006
You can't extend the system volume other than by mounting another volume to
a specific folder. Here's a Google search for software that is able to do
this. Make sure you have a backup of all partitions before attempting this.

Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
www.VistaHelp.ca

Grant wrote:
> Hi Kerry,
>
> I got this information from the internet.
>
> This hotfix includes a new Diskpart.exe utility command (extend
> filesystem) that you can use to extend the file system only. After
> you install the hotfix, to extend the file system only, type the
> following commands at the Diskpart prompt:
>
> DISKPART> select volume #
>
> Where # is the NTFS volume number of the volume where you want to
> extend the file system.
>
> DISKPART> extend filesystem
>
> I got it from:
>
> It seems (from a number of people's responses) that this works quite
> well.
>
> I just can't obtain the FSEXTEND.EXE file which is the hotfix.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Grant.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> You can't extend the system partition with the built in tools in XP.
>> You need third party software.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> www.VistaHelp.ca
>>

>> Grant wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to extend the capacity of my File System Partition (C
>>> Drive).
>>>
>>> I have tried to use the [extend] function in DiskPart, but it keeps
>>> saying: DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
>>> Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.
>>>
>>> It is a Basic disk (not dynamic) and I have read somewhere that you
>>> can't extend the filesystem, but then read in numerous other places
>>> that you can with FSEXTEND.EXE.
>>>
>>> I have tried to find this file but can't obtain it, and everyone
>>> says that they have tried to get it from Microsoft but that they
>>> don't know anything about it.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me with this, as when I purchased my computer it was
>>> split into two partitions and the file system is very small compared
>>> to the other partition.
>>>
>>> The file system is NTFS
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help on this.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> Grant.

Ken Blake, MVP

      12th Aug 2006
Grant wrote:

> I am trying to extend the capacity of my File System Partition (C
> Drive).
>
> I have tried to use the [extend] function in DiskPart, but it keeps
> saying: DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
> Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.
>
> It is a Basic disk (not dynamic) and I have read somewhere that you
> can't extend the filesystem,

That's correct. Unfortunately, no version of Windows provides any way of
changing the existing partition structure of the drive nondestructively. The
only way to do what you want is with third-party software. Partition Magic
is the best-known such program, but there are freeware/shareware
alternatives. One such program is BootIt Next Generation. It's shareware,
but comes with a free 30-day trial, so you should be able to do what you
want within that 30 days. I haven't used it myself (because I've never
needed to use *any* such program), but it comes highly recommended by
several other MVPs here.

Whatever software you use, make sure you have a good backup before
beginning. Although there's no reason to expect a problem, things *can* go
wrong.

Please reply to the newsgroup

HEMI-Powered

      12th Aug 2006
Today, =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?= made these interesting comments ...

> Hi Kerry,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on any third party solutions
> (preferrable free, but any suggestions would do)

Partition Magic or Partition Commander, both about $100. I
understand the concept of "free" but I have never understood
someone wanting to risk their entire system and all of their
data, not to mention days and days of re-setup time on somebody's
freeware, but then, that's my view, YMMD

--
HP, aka Jerry

Member, Chrysler Employee Motorsport Association (CEMA)
http://www.cemaclub.org/default.html

Banned

      20th Oct 2009
Quote:
You can't extend the system partition with the built in tools in XP. You
need third party software.

There is a FREE partition software that help to extend the partition easily and safely. It also do not need a reboot with on your NTFS partition. Here is the detailed solution.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus...out-reboot.htm

By the way, it is also useful when you want to backup data, upgrade a small disk to a larger one and transfer data, etc.