Extend the Boot Partition of Windows Server 2003 with RAID 5 confi

Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

      18th Jun 2009
Windows Server 2003 SP1 with RAID 5
HDD 36 X3
4 partition on .
C (boot partition have low space)
how to extend the boot partition.

Gerry

      18th Jun 2009
Arvind

You can use a third party partition manager to enlarge the system
partition by taking space from another partition on the drive.
http://snurl.com/kczpx [www_google_co_uk]

The other way to resolve your problem is to move files to other
partitions. The practicalities depend on how much space you need to gain
and the amount of space available elsewhere. If this solution is not
practical you need to increase free space by adding an extra drive or
reinstalling your system on a larger drive. You can use imaging software
to place a clone of your drive on a larger drive.

The default allocation to System Restore is 12% on your C partition
which is over generous. I would reduce it to 700 mb. Right click your My
Computer icon on the Desktop and select System Restore. Place the cursor
on your C drive select Settings but this time find the slider and drag
it to the left until it reads 700 mb and exit. When you get to the
Settings screen click on Apply and OK and exit.

A default setting which could be wasteful is that for temporary internet
files, especially if you do not store offline copies on disk. The
default allocation is 3% of drive. Depending on your attitude to offline
copies you could reduce this to 1% or 2%. In Internet Explorer select
Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings to
make the change. At the same time look at the number of days history is
held.

The default allocation for the Recycle Bin is 10 % of drive. Change to
5%, which should be sufficient. In Windows Explorer place the cursor
on your Recycle Bin, right click and select Properties, Global and
move the slider from 10% to 5%. However, try to avoid letting it get
too full as if it is full and you delete a file by mistake it will
bypass the Recycle Bin and be gone for ever.

If your drive is formatted as NTFS another potential gain arises with
your operating system on your C drive. In the Windows Directory of
your C partition you will have some Uninstall folders in your Windows
folder typically: $NtServicePackUninstall$ and $NtUninstallKB282010$
etc. These files may be compressed or not compressed. If compressed
the text of the folder name appears in blue characters. If not
compressed you can compress them. Right click on each folder and
select Properties, General, Advanced and check the box before Compress
contents to save Disk Space. On the General Tab you can see the amount
gained by deducting the size on disk from the size. Folder
compression is only an option on a NTFS formatted drive / partition.

Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System
Information, Tools, Dr Watson and verify that the box before "Append to
existing log" is NOT checked. This means the next time the log is
written it will overwrite rather than add to the existing file.

You can generate more space in the system partition by relocation of
folders.

For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.

To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/files/store.htm

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

You may also need to change Default File locations in the Microsoft
Office programmes you choose to move the My Documents folder. For Word
go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents, click on
Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options, General
and change default file path.

My Documents is one of a number of system created Special Folders
including My Pictures and My Music. These can more easily be relocated
using Tweak Ui. Download TweakUI, one of the MS powertoys, from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

In TweakUi select My Computer, Special Folders. You can scroll down to
see the full list of Special Folders to the left of the Change
Location button.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arvind Dahiya _ SNP wrote:
> Windows Server 2003 SP1 with RAID 5
> HDD 36 X3
> 4 partition on .
> C (boot partition have low space)
> how to extend the boot partition.

Twayne

      18th Jun 2009
Arvind Dahiya _ SNP wrote:
> Windows Server 2003 SP1 with RAID 5
> HDD 36 X3
> 4 partition on .
> C (boot partition have low space)
> how to extend the boot partition.

3rd party partition manager such as Partitioin Magic.
Or image, repartition and restore.
Or rebuild
or go to win srvr 2k3 group

Peter Foldes

      18th Jun 2009
All depends if you are now set for AD or DC on the Server. This is an XP newsgroup
and not a server related one.

If your server is set for AD then follow the advice that Gerry posted. If it is set
up as a DC then you have a problem.(No can do without removing the Raid assembly and
you know what that means)
--
Peter

"Arvind Dahiya _ SNP" <Arvind Dahiya _ (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows Server 2003 SP1 with RAID 5
> HDD 36 X3
> 4 partition on .
> C (boot partition have low space)
> how to extend the boot partition.

New Member
zhuq's Avatar
Location: London, UK

      10th Aug 2009
Firstly, you should make sure whether your RAID5 is dynamic raid5 volume or hardware RAID 5, only hardware RAID 5 can be resized.
Don't break the RAID array, just operate like resizing partition on physical hard disks. You may try partition magic server, I have good experience repartition the server, easy and fast, hope it can help others.
Some resource for you:
how to resize raid 5 partition
How to extend boot partition in Windows 2003.

Last edited by zhuq; 18th Mar 2011 at 11:58 AM..

Banned

      13th Aug 2009
thank you zhuq, I used this product and it saved me a lot. amazing, it doesn't need reboot after install or increase the OS, my server works weill without downtime, great!

Banned

      22nd Sep 2009
Is the boot partition on the RAID 5 array?

If it is, the disk management tool will not allow you to extend with the built-in extend/shrink volume.

You may find another solution here to extend your boot partition of Windows server with RAID 5: http://www.partition-tool.com/resour...id-5-array.htm

New Member
shun's Avatar

      20th Nov 2009
There are many tools that can expand the boot partition, for example, diskpart commands line, free tool, but the shortage is that you can expand the partition only when there is unallocated space behind it.
another choice, gparted, Linux CD, free, but you have to turn off the computer, many servers cannot do this.
the most suitable tool maybe partition master, see this guide how to resize raid 5 partition

Last edited by shun; 5th Mar 2011 at 03:21 PM..

New Member

      3rd Feb 2010
A excellent software, Extend Partition Server Edition could help you increase the size of system partition, reference instruction: http://www.extend-partition.com/exte...r-edition.html

New Member

      7th Aug 2012
The partition magic could not work on Windows Server OS, you could try the latest free server partition softwre-Partition Assistant Lite which enable you free resize partition on Windows Server OS.