exporting/importing messages from one computer to another (and outlook express to windows mail)

lisa

      31st Dec 2007
i'm not sure if this is possible given my old computer's limitations (over
8yrs old, can't burn cds and won't read flash drives)
i have finally progressed to a laptop on which i have set up my windows
mail - on my old computer i've got outlook express. right now, i'm
alternating my internet hookup from one to the other, depending on which one
i need to use.

i'm kind of an e-mail pack rat - i've got tons of info in old e-mails that i
can't part with - i'm hoping there is some relatively simple way to get the
e-mails from my old computer to my new one -
(aside from spending days or weeks e-mailing them to myself)

i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable modem
at once, or if that would even help with this problem

any help appreciated -
semi-computer illiterate -
lisa

      31st Dec 2007

"lisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i'm not sure if this is possible given my old computer's limitations (over
> 8yrs old, can't burn cds and won't read flash drives)
> i have finally progressed to a laptop on which i have set up my windows
> mail - on my old computer i've got outlook express. right now, i'm
> alternating my internet hookup from one to the other, depending on which
> one i need to use.
>
> i'm kind of an e-mail pack rat - i've got tons of info in old e-mails that
> i can't part with - i'm hoping there is some relatively simple way to get
> the e-mails from my old computer to my new one -
> (aside from spending days or weeks e-mailing them to myself)
>
> i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable modem
> at once, or if that would even help with this problem
>
> any help appreciated -
> semi-computer illiterate -
> lisa

Do both your old computer and your new one have floppy drives?

Here's some instructions for transferring from Outlook Express under
XP. I don't know if they also work for transferring from an older
version of Windows.

<http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/email/import-dbx-files-outlook-express-windows-mail-vista-86458.html>

<http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migrate-from-Outlook-Express-to-Windows-Mail>

As for connecting both at once to your cable modem, it probably depends
on what type of cable modem you have.

William Peterson

      2nd Jan 2008
"> i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable
modem
> at once, or if that would even help with this problem"

-A cheap router (I've seen them for $10) (Linksys, DLink, Netgear) will
allow up to 4 computers to share connections. Highly recommended for your
situation. Also it will be a great learning experience.
Pete

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

> "lisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> i'm not sure if this is possible given my old computer's limitations
>> (over 8yrs old, can't burn cds and won't read flash drives)
>> i have finally progressed to a laptop on which i have set up my windows
>> mail - on my old computer i've got outlook express. right now, i'm
>> alternating my internet hookup from one to the other, depending on which
>> one i need to use.
>>
>> i'm kind of an e-mail pack rat - i've got tons of info in old e-mails
>> that i can't part with - i'm hoping there is some relatively simple way
>> to get the e-mails from my old computer to my new one -
>> (aside from spending days or weeks e-mailing them to myself)
>>
>> i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable
>> modem at once, or if that would even help with this problem
>>
>> any help appreciated -
>> semi-computer illiterate -
>> lisa

> Do both your old computer and your new one have floppy drives?
>
> Here's some instructions for transferring from Outlook Express under
> XP. I don't know if they also work for transferring from an older
> version of Windows.
>
> <http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/email/import-dbx-files-outlook-express-windows-mail-vista-86458.html>
>
> <http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migrate-from-Outlook-Express-to-Windows-Mail>
>
> As for connecting both at once to your cable modem, it probably depends
> on what type of cable modem you have.

nolagrrl

      2nd Jan 2008
thanks for the info - i think it boils down to my inability to burn a disk or
use a flash drive to get the info physically from one computer to the other.
i've tried it many different ways and no dice. but if i can figure out how
to do that part, you've given my access to a lot of info i will need.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> "lisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i'm not sure if this is possible given my old computer's limitations (over
> > 8yrs old, can't burn cds and won't read flash drives)
> > i have finally progressed to a laptop on which i have set up my windows
> > mail - on my old computer i've got outlook express. right now, i'm
> > alternating my internet hookup from one to the other, depending on which
> > one i need to use.
> >
> > i'm kind of an e-mail pack rat - i've got tons of info in old e-mails that
> > i can't part with - i'm hoping there is some relatively simple way to get
> > the e-mails from my old computer to my new one -
> > (aside from spending days or weeks e-mailing them to myself)
> >
> > i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable modem
> > at once, or if that would even help with this problem
> >
> > any help appreciated -
> > semi-computer illiterate -
> > lisa

> Do both your old computer and your new one have floppy drives?
>
> Here's some instructions for transferring from Outlook Express under
> XP. I don't know if they also work for transferring from an older
> version of Windows.
>
> <http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/email/import-dbx-files-outlook-express-windows-mail-vista-86458.html>
>
> <http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migrate-from-Outlook-Express-to-Windows-Mail>
>
> As for connecting both at once to your cable modem, it probably depends
> on what type of cable modem you have.

nolagrrl

      2nd Jan 2008
i'll definitely check into that - i just haven't been able to get the info
from one computer to another. thanks

"William Peterson" wrote:

> "> i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable
> modem
> > at once, or if that would even help with this problem"

> -A cheap router (I've seen them for $10) (Linksys, DLink, Netgear) will
> allow up to 4 computers to share connections. Highly recommended for your
> situation. Also it will be a great learning experience.
> Pete
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "lisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> i'm not sure if this is possible given my old computer's limitations
> >> (over 8yrs old, can't burn cds and won't read flash drives)
> >> i have finally progressed to a laptop on which i have set up my windows
> >> mail - on my old computer i've got outlook express. right now, i'm
> >> alternating my internet hookup from one to the other, depending on which
> >> one i need to use.
> >>
> >> i'm kind of an e-mail pack rat - i've got tons of info in old e-mails
> >> that i can't part with - i'm hoping there is some relatively simple way
> >> to get the e-mails from my old computer to my new one -
> >> (aside from spending days or weeks e-mailing them to myself)
> >>
> >> i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable
> >> modem at once, or if that would even help with this problem
> >>
> >> any help appreciated -
> >> semi-computer illiterate -
> >> lisa

> > Do both your old computer and your new one have floppy drives?
> >
> > Here's some instructions for transferring from Outlook Express under
> > XP. I don't know if they also work for transferring from an older
> > version of Windows.
> >
> > <http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/email/import-dbx-files-outlook-express-windows-mail-vista-86458.html>
> >
> > <http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migrate-from-Outlook-Express-to-Windows-Mail>
> >
> > As for connecting both at once to your cable modem, it probably depends
> > on what type of cable modem you have.

      2nd Jan 2008
You're welcome.

news(E-Mail Removed)...