Explorer unable to open secure websites

JackieR

      23rd Sep 2004
There is no problem browsing websites as long as they are
not secure. Secure websites fail to open or do not
accept known good passwords.
Examples are:
1. Unable to use Microsoft Windows Update (error #
0x800B0001) (on page shown after trying to perform update)
2. Unable to open Microsoft Online Assisted Support
(page fails to open with standard:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
The Web site might be experiencing technical
difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser
settings.

----------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make
sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu,
and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab,
click Settings. The settings should match those provided
by your local area network (LAN) administrator or
Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft
Windows can examine your network and automatically
discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the
Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to
determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your
Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu,
and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab,
scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL
2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
"

Connection is there and other unsecure websites are
found. Security seems to be the issue. IE6.0, cipher
strength 128, updates SP1. System is XP SP1.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am cutoff from
Microsoft online help due to security issue.

Jan Il

      23rd Sep 2004
Hi JackieR :-)

Try the following and see if it helps:

Problems accessing secure sites/ cannot install 128 bit encryption
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:074101c4a11b$085fc6e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no problem browsing websites as long as they are
> not secure. Secure websites fail to open or do not
> accept known good passwords.
> Examples are:
> 1. Unable to use Microsoft Windows Update (error #
> 0x800B0001) (on page shown after trying to perform update)
> 2. Unable to open Microsoft Online Assisted Support
> (page fails to open with standard:
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
> The Web site might be experiencing technical
> difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser
> settings.

> ----------------------
>
> Please try the following:
>
> Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
>
> If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make
> sure that it is spelled correctly.
>
> To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu,
> and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab,
> click Settings. The settings should match those provided
> by your local area network (LAN) administrator or
> Internet service provider (ISP).
> If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft
> Windows can examine your network and automatically
> discover network connection settings.
> If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
> click Detect Network Settings
> Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the
> Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to
> determine what strength security you have installed.
> If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your
> Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu,
> and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab,
> scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL
> 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
> Click the Back button to try another link.
>

> Cannot find server or DNS Error
> Internet Explorer
> "
>
> Connection is there and other unsecure websites are
> found. Security seems to be the issue. IE6.0, cipher
> strength 128, updates SP1. System is XP SP1.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated as I am cutoff from
> Microsoft online help due to security issue.

=?Utf-8?B?ZG91Zw==?=

      6th Nov 2004
HI

I'm also confused when I'm getting this message:
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page
might be temporarily unavailable.

I can get into a page, but then part of the page gives that message. I
never used to get that. What's up? I'd think you'd either get in the page
or not.

It's very distracting and since it refers to my browser (and I never had it
before 3 weeks ago) it makes me think something's up with IE.

** I also have another question and I'm not sure which area to post it in.
THANKS