Explorer tool Check Disk unable to complete the disk check

theDude

      3rd Oct 2003
I'm running WindowsXP Home Edition with NTFS formatted drives and cannot
check or repair drives in windows. When using the Error-checking tool in
Windows Explorer, Windows reports error message, "Checking Disk, Windows was
unable to complete the disk check." If I boot to a DOS prompt and run
chkdsk.exe /f the program works fine. It even reschedules the task for next
boot on the active drives. I've made several changes to my system before I
realized the problem so I'm without a restore point for this correction. L I
'd much appreciate any advice.

SB

PS, Norton Disk Doctor 2003 doesn't repair or fully check the disk either.
Both tools worked fine in the past.

Delwin Lee [MSFT]

      5th Oct 2003
You probably have an app that is constantly trying to access the partition
in question. Are all your other apps closed when you perform the check?

--
Please reply in newsgroup.

"theDude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nK4fb.3574$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running WindowsXP Home Edition with NTFS formatted drives and cannot
> check or repair drives in windows. When using the Error-checking tool in
> Windows Explorer, Windows reports error message, "Checking Disk, Windows

was
> unable to complete the disk check." If I boot to a DOS prompt and run
> chkdsk.exe /f the program works fine. It even reschedules the task for

next
> boot on the active drives. I've made several changes to my system before I
> realized the problem so I'm without a restore point for this correction. L

> 'd much appreciate any advice.
>

> SB
>

> PS, Norton Disk Doctor 2003 doesn't repair or fully check the disk either.
> Both tools worked fine in the past.

theDude

      6th Oct 2003
First of all, thanks for the response. Yes I've made sure of it. In fact it
won't run in safe mode either. I've even reinstalled XP with no results. I
did find some info on the MS support pages regarding XP's eratic workings
with NTFS and DMA (direct memory access) and those haven't helped either.

"Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You probably have an app that is constantly trying to access the partition
> in question. Are all your other apps closed when you perform the check?
>
> --
> Please reply in newsgroup.

rights.