explorer crashes when viewing image folders

=?Utf-8?B?VHJldm9y?=

      27th Sep 2004
When I try to access a folder of images with longer then normal names
Explorer crashes with the following error:

Faulting applciation explorer.exe version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000111de.

Can anyone help?

=?Utf-8?B?VHJldm9y?=

      27th Sep 2004
I had to answer my own question after 3 hours of research.

If you have Photoshop 7.0 on your computer (as I do) here is the problem.

Photoshop 7 attempts to create thumbnails whenever a folder is viewed in
explorer. To disable this, right-click on any image file in explorer, go to
Properties, go to the "Photoshop Plugin" tab and uncheck "Generate
thumbnails" (possibly you have to do this for each file type - but not for
each individual file). Another option is to rename "psicon.dll" and reboot,
which disables thumbnail generation by Photoshop.

This worked for me hopefully it works for others out there!

FYI: Don't bother with these useless Microsoft support forums there is never
any answers on them. Just Google your problem and you will find the answer.

Good luck!

"Trevor" wrote:

> When I try to access a folder of images with longer then normal names
> Explorer crashes with the following error:
>
> Faulting applciation explorer.exe version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
> ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000111de.
>
> Can anyone help?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFwaGFlbA==?=

      2nd Apr 2005
> FYI: Don't bother with these useless Microsoft support forums there is never
> any answers on them. Just Google your problem and you will find the answer.

Well, you're wrong, since YOU solve my problem, on this forum ;-)

thanks!

Raphael R.
Houston, TX