.exe files won't open

zybbok

      27th Mar 2005
Hello folks,
I've got a problem with all of my .exe files.
I can't get any of them to open.
That's the desktop files, the 'All Programs' files and
any files on any of my hard drives with an .exe extension.
The computer boots up as normal and everything else is
accessible; clipart, music etc.
I've obviously got corruption or missing system files
somewhere, other than that I'm stuck.
I tried an upgrade with the XP Home disk but again I
couldn't start the installation.
All help and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance

Venkatesh [MS India Community Star]

      28th Mar 2005
Hi there,

Try the .exe file association fix, download from here:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

--
HTH
Venkatesh
"zybbok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1baa01c5331a$a7d81650$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello folks,
> I've got a problem with all of my .exe files.
> I can't get any of them to open.
> That's the desktop files, the 'All Programs' files and
> any files on any of my hard drives with an .exe extension.
> The computer boots up as normal and everything else is
> accessible; clipart, music etc.
> I've obviously got corruption or missing system files
> somewhere, other than that I'm stuck.
> I tried an upgrade with the XP Home disk but again I
> couldn't start the installation.
> All help and advice greatly appreciated.
> Thanx in advance

New Member

      18th Feb 2010
I just registered to say that, 5 years later, the .exe file association fix that Venkatesh gave still works. Many thanks, I highly recommend it!
My Avira Antivirus Free let through the "XP Antivirus 2010" malware, which put 3 viruses in my sytem that knocked out my .exe files.
The fix is in a zipped file, but I couldn't open my unzip software, Zipeg, so I installed the fix on another PC, transferred it on a memory stick, and it got everything working again.

New Member

      5th Mar 2010
I was in the same situation as fernman - XP Antivirus 2010 malware on my home PC. I first used the Windows System Restore tool which got rid of the malware but then none of my exe's worked. Then I found the string above and Venkatesh's fix. I transferred it from my laptop to my home PC with the exe problem just as Fernman did.
My home PC is now cured! Thanks Fernman and Venkatesh!

New Member

      31st Mar 2011
Wow! Thanks so much. That was a lot easier than the other things people said to do. Everything's working now.

New Member

      19th Apr 2011
Go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm and download this little program to your desktop. Run it. Fixes in just a few seconds. It is a .com file so you will be able to run it.

New Member

      21st May 2011
Thank you to ChristineW. I did the Run Command method and it fixed it! My Mom will be so happy. She calls me her "Computer Guru". You mad me look so good, couldn't do it without all of you.

New Member

      13th Jun 2011
Gang--I'm still having an issue in that I can't open any exe files period. even when I download the zips, they're still in that unreadable format. I managed to get my short cuts to reappear and they work by correcting the LNK extension in the file type in the folder options, but I can't get the EXE extension to stick. I've also tried to do a system restore, but it just takes me to a blank page--any suggestions?

---Jim

New Member

      18th Dec 2011
Thread worked great everything works again and it fixed it in less than a minute!!! Thanks Guys