exe file generation

Jag Chan

      29th Oct 2011
My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
Why is this so?
How does he get rid of this problem?
Thanx.

philo

      29th Oct 2011
On 10/29/2011 10:35 AM, Jag Chan wrote:
> My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
> Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
> Why is this so?
> How does he get rid of this problem?
> Thanx.

have him run his virus scanner at once

Paul

      30th Oct 2011
philo wrote:
> On 10/29/2011 10:35 AM, Jag Chan wrote:
>> My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
>> Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
>> Why is this so?
>> How does he get rid of this problem?
>> Thanx.

> have him run his virus scanner at once

You can get free ones, so it doesn't even have to cost anything
to check for malware.

The free version of this, runs in Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

The free version of this, boots standalone and has its own OS.
It can scan all the partitions on the disks. If the modem/router
is already running and supports DHCP, it also downloads the
latest virus definitions.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282163

"Iso image of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 (196 MB)"

You burn a CD with that and boot the computer with it,
then select the partitions to scan for malware.

Paul

David H. Lipman

      30th Oct 2011
From: "Jag Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
> Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
> Why is this so?
> How does he get rid of this problem?
> Thanx.

Why is he at Windows XP SP2 and not SP3 ?

Define "Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name."

What is "something" ?

Please be more descriptive of the problem.

At this time, I don't think its malware related but more facts are needed.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Jag Chan

      30th Oct 2011
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> From: "Jag Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
>> Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
>> Why is this so?
>> How does he get rid of this problem?
>> Thanx.

> Why is he at Windows XP SP2 and not SP3 ?
>
> Define "Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same
> name."
>
> What is "something" ?
>
> Please be more descriptive of the problem.
>
> At this time, I don't think its malware related but more facts are
> needed.

Thanx for all the suggestions.
I Will tell him to implementthem.
Regards.