Exclude Folder Locations

JC Creque

      4th Dec 2007
Is there an adm or script that I can run to exclude certain files or
locations from Windows Defender? The current available adm does not include
that functionality.
Thanks.

Stu

      5th Dec 2007
What is Adm in this context?

Stu

"JC Creque" wrote:

> Is there an adm or script that I can run to exclude certain files or
> locations from Windows Defender? The current available adm does not include
> that functionality.
> Thanks.

Dave M

      5th Dec 2007
Stu;

..ADM files are template files that are used by Group Policies to describe
where registry-based policy settings are stored in the registry. ADM files
also describe the user interface that administrators see in the Group
Policy Object Editor snap-in. Group Policy Object Editor is used by
administrators when they create or modify Group Policy objects (GPOs).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816662

Use notepad to edit (look at) your C:WINDOWS/inf/windowsdefender.adm file,
scroll to the bottom and you'll see the explanations for the GPO controls.
Close that notepad window without saving when your through. I know what it
does, but have never done it, so perhaps a Sysadmin can add more...
--

Regards, Dave

Stu wrote:
> What is Adm in this context?
>
> Stu
>
> "JC Creque" wrote:
>
>> Is there an adm or script that I can run to exclude certain files or
>> locations from Windows Defender? The current available adm does not
>> include
>> that functionality.
>> Thanks.

JC Creque

      5th Dec 2007
adm file as in group polify adm file.

"Stu" wrote:

> What is Adm in this context?
>
> Stu
>
> "JC Creque" wrote:
>
> > Is there an adm or script that I can run to exclude certain files or
> > locations from Windows Defender? The current available adm does not include
> > that functionality.
> > Thanks.

JC Creque

      5th Dec 2007
The current Group Policy file for windows defender does not any options for
file or folder exclusions. I was wondering if someone created a custom
policy file or had some script to handle exclusions.

"Dave M" wrote:

> Stu;
>
> ..ADM files are template files that are used by Group Policies to describe
> where registry-based policy settings are stored in the registry. ADM files
> also describe the user interface that administrators see in the Group
> Policy Object Editor snap-in. Group Policy Object Editor is used by
> administrators when they create or modify Group Policy objects (GPOs).
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816662
>
> Use notepad to edit (look at) your C:WINDOWS/inf/windowsdefender.adm file,
> scroll to the bottom and you'll see the explanations for the GPO controls.
> Close that notepad window without saving when your through. I know what it
> does, but have never done it, so perhaps a Sysadmin can add more...
> --
>
> Regards, Dave
>

> Stu wrote:
> > What is Adm in this context?
> >
> > Stu
> >
> > "JC Creque" wrote:
> >
> >> Is there an adm or script that I can run to exclude certain files or
> >> locations from Windows Defender? The current available adm does not
> >> include
> >> that functionality.
> >> Thanks.

Stu

      5th Dec 2007
Hi Dave M

OK and thank you for the explanation kind sir. I`ll do that. Education is a
wonderful thing

Stu

"Dave M" wrote:

> Stu;
>
> ..ADM files are template files that are used by Group Policies to describe
> where registry-based policy settings are stored in the registry. ADM files
> also describe the user interface that administrators see in the Group
> Policy Object Editor snap-in. Group Policy Object Editor is used by
> administrators when they create or modify Group Policy objects (GPOs).
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816662
>
> Use notepad to edit (look at) your C:WINDOWS/inf/windowsdefender.adm file,
> scroll to the bottom and you'll see the explanations for the GPO controls.
> Close that notepad window without saving when your through. I know what it
> does, but have never done it, so perhaps a Sysadmin can add more...
> --
>
> Regards, Dave
>

> Stu wrote:
> > What is Adm in this context?
> >
> > Stu
> >
> > "JC Creque" wrote:
> >
> >> Is there an adm or script that I can run to exclude certain files or
> >> locations from Windows Defender? The current available adm does not
> >> include
> >> that functionality.
> >> Thanks.

Stu

      5th Dec 2007
The only advice I have seen on here relating to your issue has been a
recommendation to take a look at MS Forefront Client Security.

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/c...y/default.mspx

Stu