Exchange Cached Mode: Why Size Difference Between Local & Server Data?

Alan Truism

      9th Apr 2007
If I compare the size of my mailbox between the local & server data
(using the mailbox cleanup tool) there is about a 50 MB difference.

I've noticed that on other users mailboxes. Is there a reason for
this?

Should I be concerned?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      9th Apr 2007
You need to determine which folders are affected (look in the ost properties
for folder sizes) - depending on the folders involved it may be a problem or
not. The sync errors folder does not copy down in cached mode but all other
folders should.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

"Alan Truism" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I compare the size of my mailbox between the local & server data
> (using the mailbox cleanup tool) there is about a 50 MB difference.
>
> I've noticed that on other users mailboxes. Is there a reason for
> this?
>
> Should I be concerned?

Nikki

      9th Apr 2007
Outlook 2003 (In cached mode) and Exchange 2003 - When

I get the Folder Sizes dialog that lists each folder

and size in each, There are two tabs in the Folder

Sizes dialog box in the client properties in Outlook,

local and server. They Show:

Local Data Total Size (including subfolders) 136855 KB

Server Data Total Size (including subfolders) 83997 KB

The Local is significantly larger than the Server

because there are (kinda, sorta) two copies of each

message in the OST, one in Unicode and one in RTF.

For more detail read on...

Working with Text in Rich Text Format

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ostor_8d9v.asp

The body of a message in a Microsoft Exchange Server information store is
kept in the PR_RTF_COMPRESSED property. As the name implies, this property
contains compressed text that includes rich text formatting information. For
this reason, the body of any message that will at some time be stored in a
Microsoft Exchange Server information store or transmitted by Microsoft
Exchange Server can most efficiently be stored in this property and not, for
example, in the PR_BODY property. This section describes various ways to
work with text contained within or destined for the PR_RTF_COMPRESSED
property.

RTF-Awareness

An information store is known as RTF-aware* if it keeps the body and the RTF
text of a message synchronized. The server information store and the offline
folder store (OST) are RTF-aware and the personal folder store (PST) is not
RTF-aware.

The MAPI RTFSync function synchronizes PR_BODY and PR_RTF_COMPRESSED,
ensuring that the rich text format body of a message matches the plain text
body. You call this function before reading the RTF body and after modifying
the RTF body. This is necessary for when working with the PST. For the
server information store and the OST, you do not need perform this extra
step. For information about RTF-awareness in message stores, see the MAPI
Programmer's Reference.

*RTF-Aware

An information store is known as RTF-aware if it keeps the body and the RTF
text of a message synchronized. The server-based information store and the
offline folder store (OST) are RTF-aware. The personal folder store (PST) is
not RTF-aware. See also About Information Store Client and Server
Components.

Nikki Peterson

Microsoft Outlook MVP

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OpN$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

step. For information about RTF-awareness in message stores, see the MAPI
Programmer's Reference.

*RTF-Aware
An information store is known as RTF-aware if it keeps the body and the RTF
text of a message synchronized. The server-based information store and the
offline folder store (OST) are RTF-aware. The personal folder store (PST) is
not RTF-aware. See also About Information Store Client and Server
Components.

Nikki Peterson
Microsoft Outlook MVP

"Alan Truism" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I compare the size of my mailbox between the local & server data
> (using the mailbox cleanup tool) there is about a 50 MB difference.
>
> I've noticed that on other users mailboxes. Is there a reason for

Alan Truism

      9th Apr 2007
On Apr 8, 10:22 pm, "Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
>
> An information store is known as RTF-aware if it keeps the body and the RTF
> text of a message synchronized. The server-based information store and the
> offline folder store (OST) are RTF-aware. The personal folder store (PST) is
> not RTF-aware. See also About Information Store Client and Server
> Components.
>
> Nikki Peterson
>
> Microsoft Outlook MVP
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:OpN$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > You need to determine which folders are affected (look in the ost
> > properties for folder sizes) - depending on the folders involved it may be
> > a problem or not. The sync errors folder does not copy down in cached mode
> > but all other folders should.

> > --
> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours

Any idea why the local OST size would actually be smaller than the
mailbox size on the server?

Nikki

      10th Apr 2007
Probably the client is not synchronizing ALL the folders in his
mailbox on the server.

Example: INBOX
Sub Inbox folder
Sub Inbox folder