Excel won't open files

Wayne Clements

      3rd Nov 2003
Until recently I had a perfectly good MS Office XP Pro
with all the latest product updates.

Suddenly Excel will not open XLS files when I double-
click on them. Excel starts with no workbook, with no
warning or error messages.

I can open any XLS file by using the File --> Open menu.

When I double-click on a shortcut to an XLS file, I get a
file cannot be found, even tho' I can open the XLS file
by using the File --> Open menu.

Also I have notice that if an MS Outlook email contains a
XLS attachment and I click on that attachment Excel
starts and I get an Outlook message saying that the XLS
file cannot be found.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Clements

      3rd Nov 2003
I'm sorry, I looked & I looked, but obviously not hard
enough

The answer is: Open Excel, go to Tools=>Options=>General
tab and make sure Ignore Other
Applications is not checked.

Published by "Tom Ogilvy" <(E-Mail Removed)>

Thanks
Wayne

Gord Dibben

      3rd Nov 2003
Wayne

First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore
other applications"

OR Re-register Excel.

Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the /
mark).

You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround
with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver

In your case it sounds more like re-registering first would be best.

Gord Dibben XL2002

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:09:59 -0800, "Wayne Clements" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Until recently I had a perfectly good MS Office XP Pro
>with all the latest product updates.
>
>Suddenly Excel will not open XLS files when I double-
>click on them. Excel starts with no workbook, with no
>warning or error messages.
>
>I can open any XLS file by using the File --> Open menu.
>
>When I double-click on a shortcut to an XLS file, I get a
>file cannot be found, even tho' I can open the XLS file
>by using the File --> Open menu.
>

>Also I have notice that if an MS Outlook email contains a
>XLS attachment and I click on that attachment Excel
>starts and I get an Outlook message saying that the XLS
>file cannot be found.
>
>Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
>Thanks
>Wayne

Wayne Clements

      4th Nov 2003
Thanks

      10th Nov 2003

New Member
Location: USA

      7th Nov 2008
I must say, excellent Job, The solution described here, worked perfectly.
I reversed the Process on my own PC and it broke my Excel.

Thank you From Boston, MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Clements
I'm sorry, I looked & I looked, but obviously not hard
enough

The answer is: Open Excel, go to Tools=>Options=>General
tab and make sure Ignore Other
Applications is not checked.

Published by "Tom Ogilvy"

Thanks
Wayne

New Member

      1st Mar 2010
appreciate the quick fix to this problem

New Member

      10th Nov 2010
Thanks Gord. The second fix (Re-register Excel) worked. Some how Excel in my work computer got messed up. Thanks to you Excel is working as it used to and I'm able to get back to work without going through a lot of extra steps to open Excel files..........Tony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Dibben