Excel Temporary Files Location

Frederik

      28th Mar 2007
Hi all,

When Excel opens a file, it creates a temporary file in the same
directory. This file disappears as soon as the Excel workbook is
closed again. But what if I want these temporary files to be created
in a chosen location, instead of the same directory as where my file
resides?

Thanks for your time and answer!

Frederik

Dave Peterson

      28th Mar 2007
Excel doesn't do this.

Are you sure it's not your antivirus software.

Excel will store some temporary files in your windows temp folder--and it'll
create a temporary workbook when it saves, but if that save is successful, then
that workbook will disappear.

MSWord does create a temporary file in that same folder. It'll start with a
tilde ~ (IIRC).

--

Dave Peterson

Frederik

      29th Mar 2007
Thanks for you answer Dave,

> it'll create a temporary workbook when it saves

Can I change this file location? The Excel files are on a NAS device.
This NAS device communicates with an Antivirus Server. We do not want
these temporary files to be sent to the AV server and so it would be
better if the temporary files would be saved on the local machine
instead of on the NAS device.

Kind regards,
Frederik

On Mar 28, 4:47 pm, Dave Peterson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Excel doesn't do this.
>
> Are you sure it's not your antivirus software.
>
> Excel will store some temporary files in your windows temp folder--and it'll
> create a temporary workbook when it saves, but if that save is successful, then
> that workbook will disappear.
>
> MSWord does create a temporary file in that same folder. It'll start with a
> tilde ~ (IIRC).
>
> Frederik wrote:
>
> > Hi all,

> > When Excel opens a file, it creates a temporary file in the same
> > directory. This file disappears as soon as the Excel workbook is
> > closed again. But what if I want these temporary files to be created
> > in a chosen location, instead of the same directory as where my file
> > resides?

> > Thanks for your time and answer!

> > Frederik

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

      29th Mar 2007
I don't know a way to change this behavior.

The only work-around that I can think of is to copy the workbook to a different
location, work on it there, and when done, copy it back to its real home.

--

Dave Peterson

jaf

      30th Mar 2007
Hi Frederik,
Sorry. Its hard coded. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/150368 for Excel.
And this one on Word has a longer explaination
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211632 Click the "where and when..." link.

--
John
johnf202 at hot mail dot com