PC Review

Excel, partial search for Vlookup

14th Jul 2010
I'll spare you the details, but I believe that what I need to do is use a vlookup with range false for only a specific portion of the look up value, i.e. only the first 6 letters of the look up value looking for an exact match. Any Ideas??

I can provide the long winded gritty details if you really want them.

5th Aug 2010
Not sure I quite understand the situation, but in the file you are looking up values you could create a new column and extract the first 6 characters of the lookup value (i.e unique identifier) using this formula "=left(B1,6)" and then use the vlookup on that column.

5th Aug 2010
Thank you for your help, I have since created an array that utilizes such a procedure.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: