Excel only runs in Safe Mode.

Michael Koerner

      14th Sep 2003
For some unknown reason I cannot get Excel to run in normal mode. When I try the Excel Logo comes up and after that nothing happens, I cannot even get Ctrl + Alt + Del to work, I have to push the reset button on my machine. I'm running Win98 SE (all patches) Office 2002 (all patches) I have run Detect and Repair no change. I have uninstalled and reinstalled no change. When I start up in the Safe Mode, a window pops up telling me that "Excel has detected that you have recovered files. these files will be opened the next time you start Excel in normal mode." When I click on Help and About, and go to disabled items, there are none. Any thought or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Michael Koerner

      14th Sep 2003
I think I may have stumbled on the answer. I renamed the .xlb file I found in my ApplicationsData\Microsoft\Excel Folder and everything now seems to work. Now, if I could only remember how to start excel without opening a blank workbook.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Michael Koerner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
For some unknown reason I cannot get Excel to run in normal mode. When I try the Excel Logo comes up and after that nothing happens, I cannot even get Ctrl + Alt + Del to work, I have to push the reset button on my machine. I'm running Win98 SE (all patches) Office 2002 (all patches) I have run Detect and Repair no change. I have uninstalled and reinstalled no change. When I start up in the Safe Mode, a window pops up telling me that "Excel has detected that you have recovered files. these files will be opened the next time you start Excel in normal mode." When I click on Help and About, and go to disabled items, there are none. Any thought or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Vasant Nanavati

      14th Sep 2003
Hi Michael:

Something like (depending on your Excel version and location):

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" /e

Regards,

Vasant.

[...]

Dave Peterson

      14th Sep 2003
Add this to the end of your shortcut that starts excel: /e (spacebar-slash-e)

mine would look like:

C:\msoffice\Office10\EXCEL.EXE /e
or
"C:\msoffice\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" /e
(if the path had spaces)

--

Dave Peterson
(E-Mail Removed)

Orlando Magalh„es Filho

      14th Sep 2003
Hi Michael Koerner,

On Windows folder try one or two of this:
- Look for Excel10.xlb file and remove or delete it;
- Look for XLSTART folder and remove all files on it.

HTH

---
Orlando Magalh„es Filho

(So that you get best and rapid solution and all may benefit from the
discussion, please reply within the newsgroup, not in email)

"Michael Koerner" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Dave,Vasant, thanks got it now.

--

Regards