Excel Macro Disappeared

=?Utf-8?B?Q0NS?=

      11th May 2005
Where did my macro go?

I know it was in the worksheet and I saved the worksheet, but when I closed
the worksheet and reopened it, the macro is now gone.

How do I find it or do I have to re-record it?

Also, how do I make it accessible so others can run it as well (it reformats
the layout of the page and columns and column headers after exporting data
from an Access database into the Excel spreadsheet.

I have it assigned to a button on the toolbar...the button is still there
but the macro is gone and I now get an error message stating the macro cannot
be found...???

Help!

Gord Dibben

      11th May 2005
CCR

When you recorded the macro you probably had Personal Macro Workbook selected
as the place to store it.

Close Excel completely then re-open. Personal.xls should open and your macro
will be available.

For more on Personal.xls see Help.

BTW......you don't save a "worksheet", you save a "workbook" which can contain
multiple worksheets.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:31:03 -0700, CCR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Where did my macro go?
>
>I know it was in the worksheet and I saved the worksheet, but when I closed
>the worksheet and reopened it, the macro is now gone.
>
>How do I find it or do I have to re-record it?
>
>Also, how do I make it accessible so others can run it as well (it reformats
>the layout of the page and columns and column headers after exporting data
>from an Access database into the Excel spreadsheet.
>
>I have it assigned to a button on the toolbar...the button is still there
>but the macro is gone and I now get an error message stating the macro cannot
>be found...???
>
>Help!

=?Utf-8?B?Q0NS?=

      12th May 2005
Thanks, Gord...

No, the macro doesn't show up in any file I open (though it used to!!!???).

Nothing works so I guess I will re-record it...

Now, how do I make it portable to others? The challenge is the file i want
it in is opened up via an export from Access. So, it isn't a file I have
saved somewhere, I developed it in a file that was exported...perhaps that is
why it disappeared?

Either way, thanks again, Gord...

CCR

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> CCR
>
> When you recorded the macro you probably had Personal Macro Workbook selected
> as the place to store it.
>
> Close Excel completely then re-open. Personal.xls should open and your macro
> will be available.
>
> For more on Personal.xls see Help.
>
> BTW......you don't save a "worksheet", you save a "workbook" which can contain
> multiple worksheets.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:31:03 -0700, CCR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Where did my macro go?
> >
> >I know it was in the worksheet and I saved the worksheet, but when I closed
> >the worksheet and reopened it, the macro is now gone.
> >
> >How do I find it or do I have to re-record it?
> >
> >Also, how do I make it accessible so others can run it as well (it reformats
> >the layout of the page and columns and column headers after exporting data
> >from an Access database into the Excel spreadsheet.
> >
> >I have it assigned to a button on the toolbar...the button is still there
> >but the macro is gone and I now get an error message stating the macro cannot
> >be found...???
> >
> >Help!

=?Utf-8?B?Q0NS?=

      12th May 2005
Gord,

I had to re-record the macro, but once I saved it in Personal.xls, it works
now.

I also e-mailed my personal.xls to a co-worker and it works for him too...so
now I know how to make Excel macros protable!

Thanks again,

CCR

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> CCR
>
> When you recorded the macro you probably had Personal Macro Workbook selected
> as the place to store it.
>
> Close Excel completely then re-open. Personal.xls should open and your macro
> will be available.
>
> For more on Personal.xls see Help.
>
> BTW......you don't save a "worksheet", you save a "workbook" which can contain
> multiple worksheets.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:31:03 -0700, CCR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Where did my macro go?
> >
> >I know it was in the worksheet and I saved the worksheet, but when I closed
> >the worksheet and reopened it, the macro is now gone.
> >
> >How do I find it or do I have to re-record it?
> >
> >Also, how do I make it accessible so others can run it as well (it reformats
> >the layout of the page and columns and column headers after exporting data
> >from an Access database into the Excel spreadsheet.
> >
> >I have it assigned to a button on the toolbar...the button is still there
> >but the macro is gone and I now get an error message stating the macro cannot
> >be found...???
> >
> >Help!

Moxie

      16th Apr 2009
This happened to me this morning. I had saved the macros in my workbook and
when I re-opened it, they were gone. It was because when I saved the
workbook, I saved it as a normal .xlsx file. This file format does not
support macros. To save a workbook containing macros, you have to "save as"
..xlsm which is Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook.

This is for the newest version of Excel as of today April 2009. I don't
know the version because the menus have been changed so extensively that I
can't even find where to look for the version information.....