Excel Launches without without worksheet visable until minimized

pghtech

      16th Sep 2008
Microsoft Office 2007 - Excel : When launching an .xls file it opens Excel
with just the Excel window and no worksheet visable (not even minimized). If
you minimize Excel to your task bar completely, it minimizes and than
automatically maximizes back open with the worksheet now visable.

I have done the following without success:
- Repaired
- Uninstalled
- Used the Office removal wizard to complete remove
- reinstalled using different CD

What is the fix?

Sheeloo

      23rd Sep 2008
This happens with all XLS files?
Are you double clicking on opening through File-Open?
If not then does this also happen if you already have Excel open?

Try to create a new XLS in 2007 (Save As-> Excel 97-2003) and see whether
this still happens.

"pghtech" wrote:

> Microsoft Office 2007 - Excel : When launching an .xls file it opens Excel
> with just the Excel window and no worksheet visable (not even minimized). If
> you minimize Excel to your task bar completely, it minimizes and than
> automatically maximizes back open with the worksheet now visable.
>
> I have done the following without success:
> - Repaired
> - Uninstalled
> - Used the Office removal wizard to complete remove
> - reinstalled using different CD
>
> What is the fix?

Paul P.

      5th Oct 2008
I'm having the same issue. Most of the work files I use are Excel 2003 files,
however 2007 files are treated the same way: When I dbl click a file to open
it Excel opens but the file itself does not. When I minimize the program it
pops back open automatically within a second and the file is there. Can't
seem to figure this one out.

If Excel is open but no file is opened within it and I dbl click a
spreadsheet it does in fact open up without the need to minimize the program.

Not a huge deal, but definitely an annoyance!

"Sheeloo" wrote:

> This happens with all XLS files?
> Are you double clicking on opening through File-Open?
> If not then does this also happen if you already have Excel open?
>
> Try to create a new XLS in 2007 (Save As-> Excel 97-2003) and see whether
> this still happens.
>
> "pghtech" wrote:
>
> > Microsoft Office 2007 - Excel : When launching an .xls file it opens Excel
> > with just the Excel window and no worksheet visable (not even minimized). If
> > you minimize Excel to your task bar completely, it minimizes and than
> > automatically maximizes back open with the worksheet now visable.
> >
> > I have done the following without success:
> > - Repaired
> > - Uninstalled
> > - Used the Office removal wizard to complete remove
> > - reinstalled using different CD
> >
> > What is the fix?

New Member

      9th Jan 2009
Same thing here. Using Excel 2007 on XP. Seems to hang when double clicking the excel file (opens excel, but not the doc). Then when you hit minimize, it immediately opens the excel doc. It does open right away if you open Excel first, then Office button => Click on file name in Recent Documents.

New Member

      9th Jan 2009
This is what solved the issue my user was having:
They have a label printer installed that runs a macro when Excel starts up. I removed it from c:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Xlstart, and it works perfectly.

See the Microsoft article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/919196

The article lists several other locations where startup files might be located. Hope this helps!

New Member

      28th Jan 2010
I had this problem with Office 2007/WinXP and cured it by removing an XLA called PDFWriter. It was stopping at the line "If Application.Sheets.Count = 0 Then Exit Sub"

Removing the file "PDFWriter.xla" from the \...Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART folder allows double-clicked XLS files to open normally.

Last edited by mikeplus; 28th Jan 2010 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: minor

New Member

      19th May 2010
I just had a user with the same issue.

I went into the XLStart folder and there was a single item there. Claimed it was some sort of XL add-on. I deleted it and issue was resolved.

New Member

      6th Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew19 View Post
I just had a user with the same issue.

I went into the XLStart folder and there was a single item there. Claimed it was some sort of XL add-on. I deleted it and issue was resolved.
yeah... If you use a MSO 2010, the only solution is just uncheck the bluetooth add-in.