"Excel has stopped working" - WHY??? (Reposted!)

=?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?=

      17th Aug 2007
I've had to post this again as someone else has "hijacked" my previous post!

Using Vista + Office 2003, nearly every time I close or exit a file in Excel
it stops working. I keep getting the rather useful messages telling me it's
stopped working and then that it's restarting, where it then throws up copies
of all the recent Excel documents I've been working on, which I then have to
sift through or "delete" rather nervously hoping I haven't lost anything
important! It's driving me mad!!

Example when it happens is... open an Excel document, print it, then close
it again using the "x" in the top right corner. Repeat this again but close
it using "File", "Exit" or "Close" and Excel stops working again.

I have tried using the Detect and Repair option under the Help menu, but
this hasn't solved the problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?=

      17th Aug 2007
Excel stops working no matter how I close/exit file or program. Will try
your suggestions and see what happens.

Thanks.

"Bill Manville" wrote:

> So if you exit Excel using the File menu it crashes and if you exit
> using the top-right X button it doesn't crash?
>
> There should be no difference between those two activities.
>
> We won't be able to be much help unless we have more details.
>
> Is this always repeatable?
> Regardless of what file(s) you have opened?
> Do you have any add-ins loaded?
> When it crashes, if you click on the link to show details, what does it
> indicate as the module and address of the crash.
>
> Try renaming the Excel11.xlb file which you would find somewhere like:
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
> and then try again. You will lose any toolbar and commandbar
> customisation but sometimes a corrupted xlb file can cause erratic
> behaviour on closing.
>
> Bill Manville
> MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Bill Manville

      17th Aug 2007
[...]

OK, have tried all and no luck. In response to your questions: -

Is this always repeatable? It happens 9 times out of 10.
Regardless of what file(s) you have opened? Yes.
Do you have any add-ins loaded? Sage Integrated Reporting and Sage XL Addin
(neither of which I use!)
When it crashes, if you click on the link to show details, what does it
indicate as the module and address of the crash? It doesn't. It just says
"Excel has stopped working" then "Excel is trying to restart", or "Excel has
had to close". There are no links to click on anywhere.

Try renaming the Excel11.xlb file which you would find somewhere like:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
and then try again. - Tried this, and no luck I'm afraid.

"Alex" wrote:

> Excel stops working no matter how I close/exit file or program. Will try
> your suggestions and see what happens.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Bill Manville" wrote:
>
> > So if you exit Excel using the File menu it crashes and if you exit
> > using the top-right X button it doesn't crash?
> >
> > There should be no difference between those two activities.
> >
> > We won't be able to be much help unless we have more details.
> >
> > Is this always repeatable?
> > Regardless of what file(s) you have opened?
> > Do you have any add-ins loaded?
> > When it crashes, if you click on the link to show details, what does it
> > indicate as the module and address of the crash.
> >
> > Try renaming the Excel11.xlb file which you would find somewhere like:
> > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
> > and then try again. You will lose any toolbar and commandbar
> > customisation but sometimes a corrupted xlb file can cause erratic
> > behaviour on closing.
> >
> > Bill Manville
> > MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Bill Manville

      18th Aug 2007
Alex wrote:
> When it crashes, if you click on the link to show details, what does it
> indicate as the module and address of the crash? It doesn't. It just says
> "Excel has stopped working"

I am surprised that there is no way to determine the location of the failure.
There always is when I encounter one-but as I can't make one happen I can't
recall the exact wording of the link which, in any case, may vary in Vista.

I suggest you de-select the add-ins in Tools > Add-ins.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

=?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?=

      21st Aug 2007
All fixed!! Thanks for your help Bill!!

"Bill Manville" wrote:

> Alex wrote:
> > When it crashes, if you click on the link to show details, what does it
> > indicate as the module and address of the crash? It doesn't. It just says
> > "Excel has stopped working"
> >

> I am surprised that there is no way to determine the location of the failure.
> There always is when I encounter one-but as I can't make one happen I can't
> recall the exact wording of the link which, in any case, may vary in Vista.
>
> I suggest you de-select the add-ins in Tools > Add-ins.
>
> Bill Manville
> MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

=?Utf-8?B?VGltbyBLcmFtZXI=?=

      21st Aug 2007
Hello Alex,

> All fixed!! Thanks for your help Bill!!
> > I suggest you de-select the add-ins in Tools > Add-ins.

all fixed because of deselecting the add-ins?

I´ve got the same problem...but I didn´t have installed any add-ins. Here is
just an entry with bluetooth.

regards

timo

=?Utf-8?B?VGltbyBLcmFtZXI=?=

      21st Aug 2007
Hello Bill

> Bluetooth has been the culprit for a number of other posters
> experiencing crashes in Excel 2007.

thanks, but there is just the symbol there. I do not have bluetooth
activated. Could I banish bluetooth entirely from my system and would this
maybe help?

adios

timo

Bill Manville

      21st Aug 2007
Bluetooth has been the culprit for a number of other posters
experiencing crashes in Excel 2007.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Bill Manville

      21st Aug 2007
Does this have any relevance to you, quoting a recent reply of mine to
another user who had Excel crashing.?

<<
The following, from another user's thread with similar problem
description, may help?
<<
The
problem deals with the Bluetooth COM add-in for Excel ("Send to
Bluetooth"). The problem stems from the fact that the Bluetooth add-
in tries to refer to my profile data at a hard-wired folder location
of "C:\Documents and Settings\gomer\My Documents\Bluetooth Exchange
Folder". However, I have relocated my profile to another HDD.
Obviously, the folder location should not be hardcoded. The way I
eliminated the problem was to disable the Bluetooth COM add-in (Send
to Bluetooth) within Excel 2007. This is done via the "Add-ins"
section of the "Excel Options". By the way, the "Send to Bluetooth"
add-in refers to "C:\Windows\system32\btsendto_office.dll", which I
believe was produced by/for Broadcom.

Another way to solve the problem is to leave the add-in enabled and
create a dummy folder path in "Documents and Settings". I do not know
the ramifications of doing this.

Gomer