Excel "file is already open"

John McFadden

      14th Jul 2003
Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from outside Excel
(such as from Windows Explorer), Excel indicates that the
file is already open - although, once I click OK, I seem
to be able to work with the file normally. The same file
will open fine from within Excel. I am using Excel 97 on
an XP-Home machine.

Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and
how I might correct for it?

Dave Peterson

      14th Jul 2003
The FAQ at Debra Dalgleish's site might give the solution:

http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

--

Dave Peterson
(E-Mail Removed)

Tom Ogilvy

      14th Jul 2003
with excel open, go to tools=>Options=>General and make sure Ignore Other
Applications is not checked.

if that doesn't help with the opening, close excel, go to the windows start
menu and select run (it is in the right column of choices at the bottom on
my version of win -xp)

enter

Excel.Exe /regserver

and click OK.

This will reset Excel's registry settings.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

John McFadden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:033201c349a3$ea037d60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from outside Excel
> (such as from Windows Explorer), Excel indicates that the
> file is already open - although, once I click OK, I seem
> to be able to work with the file normally. The same file
> will open fine from within Excel. I am using Excel 97 on
> an XP-Home machine.
>
> Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and
> how I might correct for it?

John McFadden

      15th Jul 2003

Thanks, Dave,
The FAQ info worked like a charm.

John

John McFadden

      15th Jul 2003

Thanks, Tom,

EXCEL /REGSERVER did the trick.

John

New Member

      16th Nov 2008
Hi,

The information from that link from Debra Dalgleish was immediately helpful. I was having the exact same problem as John when using Excel 97 on an XP home computer. Thank you, PCReview, for keeping this post/thread readable to the public for the past 5+ years.

-Kri' sis