Excel 2010 not allowing me to paste as formula

kilohana

      19th Mar 2012
I'm an experienced Excel user but I have run into a weird problem I
can't solve.

I recently had to reinstall Office 2010 (clean install) and now when I
want to copy a formula in say B10 to cells B11:B1000, I get a warning
saying "Data on the Clipboard is not the same size and shape as the
selected area. Do you want to paste the data anyway?" If I click "OK",
it pastes the value (not the formula) and it only pastes it in B11.

Also, if I try to paste via right click, Paste Special, it only gives
me Unicode and Text as options. None of the previous Paste Special
options (as formula, Multiply, Divide, etc. are there).

Anyone know how to solve this?

TIA

GS

      19th Mar 2012
kilohana was thinking very hard :
> I'm an experienced Excel user but I have run into a weird problem I
> can't solve.
>
> I recently had to reinstall Office 2010 (clean install) and now when I
> want to copy a formula in say B10 to cells B11:B1000, I get a warning
> saying "Data on the Clipboard is not the same size and shape as the
> selected area. Do you want to paste the data anyway?" If I click "OK",
> it pastes the value (not the formula) and it only pastes it in B11.
>
> Also, if I try to paste via right click, Paste Special, it only gives
> me Unicode and Text as options. None of the previous Paste Special
> options (as formula, Multiply, Divide, etc. are there).
>
> Anyone know how to solve this?
>
> TIA

Try...

You can avoid using the Clipboard by block-selecting all the cells to
receive the formula. Then while holding down the Ctrl key, select the
cell that contains the formula you want to copy to the other selected
cells. Press F2 to enter EditMode in the cell with the formula. Then
while holding down the Ctrl key, press the 'Enter' key so the contents
of the cell being edited are simultaneously entered into all selected
cells.

Alternatively, you can Ctrl-select all cells to receive the same input,
start typing, then use Ctrl+Enter to input to all selected cells
simultaneously.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Jim Cone

      23rd Mar 2012
Posted today (03/22/2012) by Hans Vogelaar(MVP) at Eileen's Lounge...

"Since the 13th of March (2012), there has been a large number of complaints that the Paste Special
option in Excel (and Word) offers fewer options than it normally does.
Initially it wasn't clear what caused this problem, but it's starting to look like a recent update
to the Skype Click-to-Call browser add-in is the culprit."

"So if you are experiencing problems with Paste Special in Excel or Word, in particular if you can
only paste as plain text, and if you have the Skype Click-to-Call add-in, you may consider disabling
or uninstalling this add-in until Skype releases a fix."
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .

"Tom Morrow" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> I am having the same problem as well. That solution worked, but the
> paste does not allow me to paste format either. How do i do that ? And
> how can i solve the problem ? Thanks.
>
> Try...
>
> You can avoid using the Clipboard by block-selecting all the cells to
> receive the formula. Then while holding down the Ctrl key, select the
> cell that contains the formula you want to copy to the other selected
> cells. Press F2 to enter EditMode in the cell with the formula. Then
> while holding down the Ctrl key, press the 'Enter' key so the contents
> of the cell being edited are simultaneously entered into all selected
> cells.
>
> Alternatively, you can Ctrl-select all cells to receive the same input,
>
> start typing, then use Ctrl+Enter to input to all selected cells
> simultaneously.
>
> --
> Garry

> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
> ClassicVB Users Regroup!
> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
> microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
> --
> Tom Morrow

GS

      23rd Mar 2012
Nice find, Jim!<g>

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Jim Cone

      24th Mar 2012
I'd rather be good than lucky. <g>
'---
Jim Cone

"GS" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:jkitm7$ccs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nice find, Jim!<g>
>
> --
> Garry
>
> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
> ClassicVB Users Regroup!
> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
> microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

GS

      24th Mar 2012
Jim Cone was thinking very hard :
> I'd rather be good than lucky. <g>
> '---
> Jim Cone
>

> "GS" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:jkitm7$ccs$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nice find, Jim!<g>
>>
>> -- Garry
>>
>> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
>> ClassicVB Users Regroup!
>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>> microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Well.., sometimes 'being good' IS the result of being lucky.<g>