Excel 2007 texture fill of chart data series columns

Leland

      22nd Aug 2008
I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for a
black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures", none
of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the traditional
stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

Andy Pope

      22nd Aug 2008
Hi,

The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
method of doing pattern fills.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm

And this is how you install add-ins.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...in-excel-2007/

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Leland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for
> black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
> horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
> options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
> none
> of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
> traditional
> stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

Leland

      22nd Aug 2008
Andy Pope-

Your advice is terrific, but I guess I need a bit more. When I download
your add-in, it works great and the chart looks exactly like I want.
Wonderful!

Then I follow your instructions about how to install the add-in, I am not
able to do it. I click the Office button, the Excel options button, and the
Add-ins button, but there is only one active application add-in available
(“Send to Bluetooth”?) and when I click the “Go…” button the add-in option
that I want (I am assuming that would be “Pattern Fills”) is not available.

How to I make your Pattern Fills Add-in appear in the “Active Application
Add-ins” Window?

Thank you so much. -Leland

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
> method of doing pattern fills.
> http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm
>
> And this is how you install add-ins.
> http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
> http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...in-excel-2007/
>
> Cheers
> Andy
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Leland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for
> > black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
> > horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
> > options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
> > none
> > of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
> > traditional
> > stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

Leland

      22nd Aug 2008
Hi Again Andy Pope,

Some other users in the "General Questions" group under Excel helped me find
a solution to my problem. I saved the Add-in to the following folder

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Library

And now it shows up just like you said it would. I cannot thank you enough
for your help. I am truly grateful.

-Leland

"Leland" wrote:

> Andy Pope-
>
> Your advice is terrific, but I guess I need a bit more. When I download
> your add-in, it works great and the chart looks exactly like I want.
> Wonderful!
>
> Then I follow your instructions about how to install the add-in, I am not
> able to do it. I click the Office button, the Excel options button, and the
> Add-ins button, but there is only one active application add-in available
> (“Send to Bluetooth”?) and when I click the “Go…” button the add-in option
> that I want (I am assuming that would be “Pattern Fills”) is not available.
>
> How to I make your Pattern Fills Add-in appear in the “Active Application
> Add-ins” Window?
>
> Thank you so much. -Leland
>

> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
> > method of doing pattern fills.
> > http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm
> >
> > And this is how you install add-ins.
> > http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
> > http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...in-excel-2007/
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andy
> > --
> >
> > Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > http://www.andypope.info
> > "Leland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for
> > > black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
> > > horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
> > > options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
> > > none
> > > of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
> > > traditional
> > > stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

Andy Pope

      23rd Aug 2008
Thanks for the update. Glad you was able to get it sorted.

Cheers
Andy

Leland wrote:
> Hi Again Andy Pope,
>
> Some other users in the "General Questions" group under Excel helped me find
> a solution to my problem. I saved the Add-in to the following folder
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Library
>
> And now it shows up just like you said it would. I cannot thank you enough
> for your help. I am truly grateful.
>
> -Leland
>

> "Leland" wrote:
>

>>Andy Pope-
>>
>>Your advice is terrific, but I guess I need a bit more. When I download
>>your add-in, it works great and the chart looks exactly like I want.
>>Wonderful!
>>
>>Then I follow your instructions about how to install the add-in, I am not
>>able to do it. I click the Office button, the Excel options button, and the
>>Add-ins button, but there is only one active application add-in available
>>(“Send to Bluetooth”?) and when I click the “Go…” button the add-in option
>>that I want (I am assuming that would be “Pattern Fills”) is not available.
>>
>>How to I make your Pattern Fills Add-in appear in the “Active Application
>>Add-ins” Window?
>>
>>Thank you so much. -Leland
>>

>>"Andy Pope" wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
>>>method of doing pattern fills.
>>>http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm
>>>
>>>And this is how you install add-ins.
>>>http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
>>>http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...in-excel-2007/
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Andy
>>>--
>>>
>>>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>>http://www.andypope.info
>>>"Leland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Glenda

      28th Oct 2008
Wow, this was my question - thank you so much... your instructions were
perfect.
--
Glenda

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Thanks for the update. Glad you was able to get it sorted.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> Leland wrote:
> > Hi Again Andy Pope,
> >
> > Some other users in the "General Questions" group under Excel helped me find
> > a solution to my problem. I saved the Add-in to the following folder
> >
> > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Library
> >
> > And now it shows up just like you said it would. I cannot thank you enough
> > for your help. I am truly grateful.
> >
> > -Leland
> >

> > "Leland" wrote:
> >

> >>Andy Pope-
> >>
> >>Your advice is terrific, but I guess I need a bit more. When I download
> >>your add-in, it works great and the chart looks exactly like I want.
> >>Wonderful!
> >>
> >>Then I follow your instructions about how to install the add-in, I am not
> >>able to do it. I click the Office button, the Excel options button, and the
> >>Add-ins button, but there is only one active application add-in available
> >>(“Send to Bluetooth”?) and when I click the “Go…” button the add-in option
> >>that I want (I am assuming that would be “Pattern Fills”) is not available.
> >>
> >>How to I make your Pattern Fills Add-in appear in the “Active Application
> >>Add-ins” Window?
> >>
> >>Thank you so much. -Leland

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

john9210

      18th Jun 2009

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
> method of doing pattern fills.
> http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm
>
> And this is how you install add-ins.
> http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
> http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...in-excel-2007/
>
> Cheers
> Andy
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Leland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for
> > black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
> > horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
> > options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
> > none
> > of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
> > traditional
> > stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

Andy,
I loaded the add-in ok, but I can't figure out how to apply fill to
individual columns. I'm using black and white, not color and I need the fill
to distinguish the columns.

Thank,

John9210

Andy Pope

      19th Jun 2009
Hi,

To do individual columns you would first need to select a individual column.
Click a column once to select the column series. Then click the column again
to select the individual column.

Now when you use the addin only the single column should have the pattern
chosen.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"john9210" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
>> method of doing pattern fills.
>> http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm
>>
>> And this is how you install add-ins.
>> http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
>> http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...in-excel-2007/
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "Leland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart
>> >for
>> > black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
>> > horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only
>> > fill
>> > options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
>> > none
>> > of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
>> > traditional
>> > stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

> Andy,
> I loaded the add-in ok, but I can't figure out how to apply fill to
> individual columns. I'm using black and white, not color and I need the
> fill
> to distinguish the columns.
>
> Thank,
>
> John9210

john9210

      19th Jun 2009

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To do individual columns you would first need to select a individual column.
> Click a column once to select the column series. Then click the column again
> to select the individual column.
>
> Now when you use the addin only the single column should have the pattern
> chosen.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "john9210" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
> >> method of doing pattern fills.
> >> http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm
> >>
> >> And this is how you install add-ins.
> >> http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
> >> http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...in-excel-2007/
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
> >> --
> >>
> >> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> http://www.andypope.info
> >> "Leland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>

> > Andy,
> > I loaded the add-in ok, but I can't figure out how to apply fill to
> > individual columns. I'm using black and white, not color and I need the
> > fill
> > to distinguish the columns.
> >
> > Thank,
> >
> > John9210

> Nope, still doesn't work. The addin only appears in the layout and format tabs. When I select a column, only choices on adin are foreground and background. Neither has an effect. I am using Vista and Excel 2007.

Andy Pope

      19th Jun 2009
Can you email the file you are trying this on.

andy AT andypope DOT info

Also let me know the version and service pack level.
Office button > Excel Options > Resources

Cheers
Andy