Excel 2007 Name Conflict

Reeza

      10th May 2007
Hi All,

I have about 800+ excel workbooks, with an apparent problem. If I
open one of the files in excel 07 it gives me an error message, Name
Conflict
Name cannot be the same as a built-in name
Old name=print_area
new name=

Problem is i don't want to manually go and change all 800 files, any
way around this?

Thanks,
Reeza

Ron de Bruin

      10th May 2007
Hi Reeza

You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
send the file to me private.

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Reeza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I have about 800+ excel workbooks, with an apparent problem. If I
> open one of the files in excel 07 it gives me an error message, Name
> Conflict
> Name cannot be the same as a built-in name
> Old name=print_area
> new name=
>
> Problem is i don't want to manually go and change all 800 files, any
> way around this?
>
> Thanks,
> Reeza

Reeza

      10th May 2007
On May 10, 1:24 pm, "Ron de Bruin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Reeza
>
> You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
> If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
> send the file to me private.
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>
> "Reeza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All,

> > I have about 800+ excel workbooks, with an apparent problem. If I
> > open one of the files in excel 07 it gives me an error message, Name
> > Conflict
> > Name cannot be the same as a built-in name
> > Old name=print_area
> > new name=

> > Problem is i don't want to manually go and change all 800 files, any
> > way around this?

> > Thanks,
> > Reeza

Catch 22..Confidential data, but can't open the file to clear the data
without first fixing the problem

Reeza

Ron de Bruin

      10th May 2007
Can't you open the file in 2003 on another machine and change the name ?

If this is working I can help you with a macro to chnage the names in all workbooks

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Reeza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On May 10, 1:24 pm, "Ron de Bruin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi Reeza
>>
>> You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
>> If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
>> send the file to me private.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>>
>> "Reeza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi All,

>> > I have about 800+ excel workbooks, with an apparent problem. If I
>> > open one of the files in excel 07 it gives me an error message, Name
>> > Conflict
>> > Name cannot be the same as a built-in name
>> > Old name=print_area
>> > new name=

>> > Problem is i don't want to manually go and change all 800 files, any
>> > way around this?

>> > Thanks,
>> > Reeza

> Catch 22..Confidential data, but can't open the file to clear the data
> without first fixing the problem
>
> Reeza

Reeza

      10th May 2007
On May 10, 2:29 pm, "Ron de Bruin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can't you open the file in 2003 on another machine and change the name ?
>
> If this is working I can help you with a macro to chnage the names in all workbooks
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>
> "Reeza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On May 10, 1:24 pm, "Ron de Bruin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Hi Reeza

> >> You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
> >> If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
> >> send the file to me private.

> >> --

> >> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

> > Catch 22..Confidential data, but can't open the file to clear the data
> > without first fixing the problem

> > Reeza

Excel prompts you to change the name, can't open the file without
changing the name first actually.

It appears to be a range named print_area which conflicts with a built
in variable in excel. We upgraded all our computers this morning, but
I'll do one on my personal computer tonight and send it over. Thanks
Ron.

Reeza

=?Utf-8?B?U2VhTW9ua2V5?=

      20th Jun 2007
I don't know if you'd call this a solution but I think I found a way to
circumvent the problem. The file I was getting Name Conflict "Print_Area"
error for had multiple worksheets, all of which had been formatted to print
only a certain portion of the worksheet. I opened the file in an older
version of Excel and on each worksheet, I reset the print area. I was then
able to open the file in Excel 07. An interesting thing about this process
is that when I opened the newly reset file in Excel 07, the original print
areas were still intact. This may be a quirk with my individual file or it
may be a function of the coding. I don't know. All I know is that I can now
open this necessary file in Excel 07. It also makes me think that the macro
idea from Ron might be the way to go---set a macro to reset the print areas
in your files. Hope this helps.

Michael

"Reeza" wrote:

> On May 10, 2:29 pm, "Ron de Bruin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Can't you open the file in 2003 on another machine and change the name ?
> >
> > If this is working I can help you with a macro to chnage the names in all workbooks
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

> > > Catch 22..Confidential data, but can't open the file to clear the data
> > > without first fixing the problem

> > > Reeza

> Excel prompts you to change the name, can't open the file without
> changing the name first actually.
>
> It appears to be a range named print_area which conflicts with a built
> in variable in excel. We upgraded all our computers this morning, but
> I'll do one on my personal computer tonight and send it over. Thanks
> Ron.
>
> Reeza

New Member

      1st Sep 2011
Simple, just go to the Formula Menu and finde the NAME MANAGER. Delete all names filtered to your worksheet.

Hope this help.