In Excel 2007 chart with multiple lines, mouse doesn't track lines

sfuelling

      19th Aug 2009
If I open an Excel 2003 x-y scatter line chart with multiple (x,y) line
graphs (or open a graph that was saved under Excel 2007), and I move the
mouse over the various lines (some of them may be close to each other) then
there is an x 'offset' in the location of the mouse and when Excel recognizes
a line graph and displayes the line title with a little message underneath
the mouse cursor. Another way to explain thsi behaviour is if you try to
click at a particular line graph, it may not select it, it may select a
different line graph that is located left to where the mouse is.

This is very agonzing when trying to analyze data, which I and my collegues
need to do. Excel 2007 is therefore almost useless to us. Also if you, e.g.,
try to change the color or appearance of the line, you may not be able to
select it easily.

It is as if the internal coordinates of the chart area are not tracked
properly to the mouse coordinates when the mouse moves over the chart area.
Possibly both the x and y coordinates have an 'offset'.

I have update to the service pack 2. Are there further Excel-only updates
available?

Jon Peltier

      19th Aug 2009
You may have to recreate the charts in Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.