Excel 2007 - 5 sec. delay to process each task

Shayla2008

      9th Feb 2009
Out of the blue Excel started returning a delayed response of 5 seconds for
every task performed in a spreadsheet with formula's in. Sometimes even just
clicking in a cell, it takes 5 seconds for it to register before I begin even
typing anything. Same delay happens when toggling between windows.
So frustrating.

Is this an excel issue or a computer issue?

Thanks,
Shay

Dave Peterson

      9th Feb 2009
Do you have any events that are firing when you change selection or change
sheets?

Do you use google desktop search?

If you rebooted and restarted your pc, do you still have the same problem?

--

Dave Peterson

Shayla2008

      10th Feb 2009
I don't really know what you mean by events firing. The formulas are simple
multication, addition and some cell references. The delay happens during
these calculations and also when I am clicking in emtpy cells, copy/pasting,
during save and toggling between spreadsheets.

I do use google search.

Yes, computer has been rebooted many times. This has been happening for a
couple weeks now.

Thanks, Shay

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Do you have any events that are firing when you change selection or change
> sheets?
>
> Do you use google desktop search?
>
> If you rebooted and restarted your pc, do you still have the same problem?
>
> Shayla2008 wrote:
> >
> > Out of the blue Excel started returning a delayed response of 5 seconds for
> > every task performed in a spreadsheet with formula's in. Sometimes even just
> > clicking in a cell, it takes 5 seconds for it to register before I begin even
> > typing anything. Same delay happens when toggling between windows.
> > So frustrating.
> >
> > Is this an excel issue or a computer issue?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shay

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

      10th Feb 2009
When is the last time you did a really good cleanup of your TIF folders and
Temp folders?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:12:01 -0800, Shayla2008
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't really know what you mean by events firing. The formulas are simple
>multication, addition and some cell references. The delay happens during
>these calculations and also when I am clicking in emtpy cells, copy/pasting,
>during save and toggling between spreadsheets.
>
>I do use google search.
>
>Yes, computer has been rebooted many times. This has been happening for a
>couple weeks now.
>
>Thanks, Shay
>
>"Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
>> Do you have any events that are firing when you change selection or change
>> sheets?
>>
>> Do you use google desktop search?
>>
>> If you rebooted and restarted your pc, do you still have the same problem?
>>
>> Shayla2008 wrote:
>> >
>> > Out of the blue Excel started returning a delayed response of 5 seconds for
>> > every task performed in a spreadsheet with formula's in. Sometimes even just
>> > clicking in a cell, it takes 5 seconds for it to register before I begin even
>> > typing anything. Same delay happens when toggling between windows.
>> > So frustrating.
>> >
>> > Is this an excel issue or a computer issue?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Shay

>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

      10th Feb 2009
I'm not talking about www.google.com, though.

I'm talking about the google desktop.

If you're using that, then turn it off to see if that helps.

If I recall correctly, a newer version of the google desktop search may have
eliminated the problem.

--

Dave Peterson

Shayla2008

      10th Feb 2009
I do clean them out regularly. I just got this laptop in Oct so it is also
fairly new. I am wondering if it is more a systems problem than excel.
I notice when I first open excel it works fine, the more spreadsheets I work
in as the day goes on it gets progressively worse for the delay time. I
usually have 3 open at a time.

When I look at the systems performance the physical memory is high when it
works good and it is low when it is bogging down. I read that shouldn't
matter as it should free up memory as needed, but maybe it isn't.
But, I don't have any problem with any other application, only excel.

Should I post this question in another forum?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> When is the last time you did a really good cleanup of your TIF folders and
> Temp folders?
>

> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:12:01 -0800, Shayla2008
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I don't really know what you mean by events firing. The formulas are simple
> >multication, addition and some cell references. The delay happens during
> >these calculations and also when I am clicking in emtpy cells, copy/pasting,
> >during save and toggling between spreadsheets.
> >
> >I do use google search.
> >
> >Yes, computer has been rebooted many times. This has been happening for a
> >couple weeks now.
> >
> >Thanks, Shay
> >
> >"Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have any events that are firing when you change selection or change
> >> sheets?
> >>
> >> Do you use google desktop search?
> >>
> >> If you rebooted and restarted your pc, do you still have the same problem?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Dave Peterson

Shayla2008

      10th Feb 2009
Ok, no I don't think so. I have it on my explorer bar.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I'm not talking about www.google.com, though.
>
> I'm talking about the google desktop.
>
> If you're using that, then turn it off to see if that helps.
>
> If I recall correctly, a newer version of the google desktop search may have
> eliminated the problem.
>
> Shayla2008 wrote:
> >
> > I don't really know what you mean by events firing. The formulas are simple
> > multication, addition and some cell references. The delay happens during
> > these calculations and also when I am clicking in emtpy cells, copy/pasting,
> > during save and toggling between spreadsheets.
> >
> > I do use google search.
> >
> > Yes, computer has been rebooted many times. This has been happening for a
> > couple weeks now.
> >
> > Thanks, Shay
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Do you have any events that are firing when you change selection or change
> > > sheets?
> > >
> > > Do you use google desktop search?
> > >
> > > If you rebooted and restarted your pc, do you still have the same problem?

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

      10th Feb 2009
If you open excel in safe mode:

Close excel
Windows start button|Run
Excel /safe

And then file|open your workbook

Is the delay still there?

--

Dave Peterson

Shayla2008

      10th Feb 2009
I am in a seminar today. Tomorrow when I am back in the office I will try
this when it starts bogging.

thx, Shay

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> If you open excel in safe mode:
>
> Close excel
> Windows start button|Run
> Excel /safe
>
> And then file|open your workbook
>
> Is the delay still there?
>
> Shayla2008 wrote:
> >
> > Ok, no I don't think so. I have it on my explorer bar.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not talking about www.google.com, though.
> > >
> > > I'm talking about the google desktop.
> > >
> > > If you're using that, then turn it off to see if that helps.
> > >
> > > If I recall correctly, a newer version of the google desktop search may have
> > > eliminated the problem.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Shayla2008

      11th Feb 2009
I tried using excel in safe mode and it does not help with the delay. I am
still getting a 5 second delay for each task performed.
Any other suggestions?

Thx,
Shay