Excel 2002: Can't Open more than 1 file at a time

=?Utf-8?B?dGFiY291cnQ=?=

      1st Oct 2004
Running Win XP and Office XP Pro 2002. When I have one excel file open, I
can't get another excel file to open. Double clicking another file simply
does nothing. Any ideas?

Mark

Rob Bovey

      1st Oct 2004
"tabcourt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running Win XP and Office XP Pro 2002. When I have one excel file open, I
> can't get another excel file to open. Double clicking another file simply
> does nothing. Any ideas?

Hi Mark,

Choose Tools/Options/General from the Excel menu and make sure the
"Ignore other applications" checkbox is not checked.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

=?Utf-8?B?dGFiY291cnQ=?=

      1st Oct 2004
Rob,

Wouldn't you want the box to be checked? Isn't the reason other files aren't
opening is that another application is in conflict?

"Rob Bovey" wrote:

> "tabcourt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Running Win XP and Office XP Pro 2002. When I have one excel file open, I
> > can't get another excel file to open. Double clicking another file simply
> > does nothing. Any ideas?

> Hi Mark,
>
> Choose Tools/Options/General from the Excel menu and make sure the
> "Ignore other applications" checkbox is not checked.
>
> --
> Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
> Application Professionals
> http://www.appspro.com/
>
> * Please post all replies to this newsgroup *
> * I delete all unsolicited e-mail responses *

Rob Bovey

      2nd Oct 2004
"tabcourt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wouldn't you want the box to be checked? Isn't the reason other files
> aren't
> opening is that another application is in conflict?

Nope, that checkbox is used to make Excel ignore calls to itself from
other applications. Double-clicking a file in Explorer is a call from
Explorer to Excel. If that checkbox is checked, Excel will ignore the call
and not open the file.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals
http://www.appspro.com/

      4th Oct 2004

Rob Bovey

      4th Oct 2004
Hi Mark,

Have you tried removing the checkmark from the Ignore other applications
checkbox under the Tools/Options/General menu as I suggested earlier?

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals
http://www.appspro.com/

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ed201c4aa05$b7758ff0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

Anna Chen-Mei Huang

      5th Oct 2004

>Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
>Application Professionals
>http://www.appspro.com/
>
>* Please post all replies to this newsgroup *
>* I delete all unsolicited e-mail responses *
>

>.

Hey, Rob, do you think you can help me? Excel keeps on
not responding when I try to open it, even in safe mode.
I have Windows XP running. Do I need to supply any other
information for you to help troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Anna Chen-Mei Huang
10/5/2004 Tues.

Rob Bovey

      5th Oct 2004
Hi Anna,

Have you completed all the steps in the following Knowledge Base
article:

http://support.microsoft.com?id=280504

If Excel won't start in safe mode even when Windows is in safe mode, the
only thing left to try is removing and reinstalling Office. Even this may
not work, because this situation is usually caused by a conflict between
Excel and some other piece of software running on your computer, and the
conflict may still exist after a reinstall.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals
http://www.appspro.com/

news:27f101c4aae9$14c51a20$(E-Mail Removed)...