PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Exceed .pst size limit

 
 
sas05jackal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Jan 2009
Everyone,

I am using Outlook 2007. When I try to drag emails I want to save to my
offline folders, it says something like my ".pst" folders have exceeded their
size limit and that I need to delete mail to make more room. Well, I have
deleted about 10 folders (!), and it still gives me the same error message.
Does anyone have a solution he or she would like to recommend? Thank you.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roady [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Jan 2009
It sounds like you are trying it to move to a pst-file that is in ANSI
format and not in UNICODE format. ANSI formatted pst-files are limited to
2GB.

As you've just deleted the items, you could force a manual Compact on the
pst-file to return the white space and actually decrease the file size of
the pst-file to far below the 2GB size limit.

A better solution would be to start off with a new UNICODE formatted
pst-file instead.
See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/115

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
http://www.howto-outlook.com/
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more

http://www.msoutlook.info/
Real World Questions, Real World Answers

-----

"sas05jackal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Everyone,
>
> I am using Outlook 2007. When I try to drag emails I want to save to
> my
> offline folders, it says something like my ".pst" folders have exceeded
> their
> size limit and that I need to delete mail to make more room. Well, I have
> deleted about 10 folders (!), and it still gives me the same error
> message.
> Does anyone have a solution he or she would like to recommend? Thank you.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sas05jackal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Jan 2009
Hi Roady,

Will moving to a UNICODE format from an ANSI format rewrite or delete
any of my old .pst files? I'll check into your link.

Also, how do I force a manual compact process on the .pst file?

Thank for your help so far.

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> It sounds like you are trying it to move to a pst-file that is in ANSI
> format and not in UNICODE format. ANSI formatted pst-files are limited to
> 2GB.
>
> As you've just deleted the items, you could force a manual Compact on the
> pst-file to return the white space and actually decrease the file size of
> the pst-file to far below the 2GB size limit.
>
> A better solution would be to start off with a new UNICODE formatted
> pst-file instead.
> See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/115
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>
> -----
>
> "sas05jackal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Everyone,
> >
> > I am using Outlook 2007. When I try to drag emails I want to save to
> > my
> > offline folders, it says something like my ".pst" folders have exceeded
> > their
> > size limit and that I need to delete mail to make more room. Well, I have
> > deleted about 10 folders (!), and it still gives me the same error
> > message.
> > Does anyone have a solution he or she would like to recommend? Thank you.

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Jan 2009
You're not really "moving" to a UNICODE format so much as creating a new
UNICODE file and moving the contents of your old ANSI formatted file.
Your old ANSI files will still exist.

To force a manual compact go to the folder list in Outlook, right-click
on the Personal Folders file in question (the root of it that says
"Personal Folder File" most likely) and choose Properties. Click the
Advanced button and you'll see a button labeled "Compact Now".

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
http://www.officeforlawyers.com
Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q



"sas05jackal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi Roady,
>
> Will moving to a UNICODE format from an ANSI format rewrite or delete
> any of my old .pst files? I'll check into your link.
>
> Also, how do I force a manual compact process on the .pst file?
>
> Thank for your help so far.
>
> "Roady [MVP]" wrote:
>
>
> > It sounds like you are trying it to move to a pst-file that is in ANSI
> > format and not in UNICODE format. ANSI formatted pst-files are limited to
> > 2GB.
> >
> > As you've just deleted the items, you could force a manual Compact on the
> > pst-file to return the white space and actually decrease the file size of
> > the pst-file to far below the 2GB size limit.
> >
> > A better solution would be to start off with a new UNICODE formatted
> > pst-file instead.
> > See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/115
> >
> > --
> > Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> > Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> > http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> > Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
> >
> > http://www.msoutlook.info/
> > Real World Questions, Real World Answers
> >
> > -----
> >
> > "sas05jackal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>
> > > Everyone,
> > >
> > > I am using Outlook 2007. When I try to drag emails I want to save to
> > > my
> > > offline folders, it says something like my ".pst" folders have exceeded
> > > their
> > > size limit and that I need to delete mail to make more room. Well, I have
> > > deleted about 10 folders (!), and it still gives me the same error
> > > message.
> > > Does anyone have a solution he or she would like to recommend? Thank you.

> >

>
> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
sas05jackal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Jan 2009
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the clarification. It's a little busy here today, so I'll try it
tomorrow and hopefully let everyone know the results. Thank you.

"Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote:

> You're not really "moving" to a UNICODE format so much as creating a new
> UNICODE file and moving the contents of your old ANSI formatted file.
> Your old ANSI files will still exist.
>
> To force a manual compact go to the folder list in Outlook, right-click
> on the Personal Folders file in question (the root of it that says
> "Personal Folder File" most likely) and choose Properties. Click the
> Advanced button and you'll see a button labeled "Compact Now".
>
> --
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP
> Roland Schorr & Tower
> http://www.rolandschorr.com
> http://www.officeforlawyers.com
> Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
> http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q
>
>
>
> "sas05jackal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi Roady,
> >
> > Will moving to a UNICODE format from an ANSI format rewrite or delete
> > any of my old .pst files? I'll check into your link.
> >
> > Also, how do I force a manual compact process on the .pst file?
> >
> > Thank for your help so far.
> >
> > "Roady [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >
> > > It sounds like you are trying it to move to a pst-file that is in ANSI
> > > format and not in UNICODE format. ANSI formatted pst-files are limited to
> > > 2GB.
> > >
> > > As you've just deleted the items, you could force a manual Compact on the
> > > pst-file to return the white space and actually decrease the file size of
> > > the pst-file to far below the 2GB size limit.
> > >
> > > A better solution would be to start off with a new UNICODE formatted
> > > pst-file instead.
> > > See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/115
> > >
> > > --
> > > Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> > > Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> > > http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> > > Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
> > >
> > > http://www.msoutlook.info/
> > > Real World Questions, Real World Answers
> > >
> > > -----
> > >
> > > "sas05jackal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >
> > > > Everyone,
> > > >
> > > > I am using Outlook 2007. When I try to drag emails I want to save to
> > > > my
> > > > offline folders, it says something like my ".pst" folders have exceeded
> > > > their
> > > > size limit and that I need to delete mail to make more room. Well, I have
> > > > deleted about 10 folders (!), and it still gives me the same error
> > > > message.
> > > > Does anyone have a solution he or she would like to recommend? Thank you.
> > >

> >
> > >

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSE352: The size of the record uuid:... exceed its limit acoulson Microsoft ASP .NET 3 19th Mar 2005 08:42 AM
how can I exceed the nested if fuction limit =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?= Microsoft Excel Misc 0 30th Jan 2005 01:17 AM
Exceed the 256 char limit for text in a cell rlcohen Microsoft Excel Discussion 3 29th Jun 2004 03:34 PM
Need more columns! How to exceed default limit for number of columns per worksheet sallyember Microsoft Excel Misc 1 17th May 2004 03:42 PM
Exceed limit in Outlook abnew Microsoft Outlook 3 10th Feb 2004 08:40 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:41 AM.