PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Everything's in Windings!!!

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TG9ybmEgUHll?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Sep 2006
HELP! I inserted some more memory into my PC today and when I switched it
back on everything is written in Wingdings! The start menu, the icons,
everything!!! I managed to change the list in start up back to System (this
was the only font available) but everything else is still in Wingdings. I
removed the memory and tried again but it made no difference!
I'm getting very desperate!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
User Friendly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      23rd Sep 2006
Lorna Pye wrote:
> HELP! I inserted some more memory into my PC today and when I switched it
> back on everything is written in Wingdings! The start menu, the icons,
> everything!!! I managed to change the list in start up back to System (this
> was the only font available) but everything else is still in Wingdings. I
> removed the memory and tried again but it made no difference!
> I'm getting very desperate!

Ah...a fantastic mystery....
If you have "system" fonts, is this sufficient to get into
control panel | fonts and reinstall your fonts? Look for the
fonts in windows | fonts. Select them all and reinstall. It
would seem that the new memory install scrambled the
registry. Hard to image how your fonts were actually deleted.
Your other choices, if you can use them, are to backup your
data and use the Win Install CD to recover your system,
which might require a whole wipe of the HDD including
applications. A lucky alternative is to access System
Restore, but if wingdings is the available font...good luck.
Upon bootup,hold down F8 and select "return to last known
good setting," or boot into safe mode and get into system
restore (get into HELP and search "system restore" (sorry I
am on win98 machine right now or I'd give you the direct
connect).
You might create a "translation table" for wingdings (type
"a" and note the symbol, type "b" and note the symbol,
etc.), thus allowing you to get into windows explorer and
what ever else to make tweaks.
Report back, please.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TG9ybmEgUHll?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Sep 2006
Hi,
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately nothing work so I took the whole thing
to the shop where I bought the memory from and got them to look at it. They
believe the memory I bought was faulty and it had corrupted Windows! So I now
have a working PC but with no data, files or programmes on it! Great! Well,
here we go, starting from scratch!
Thanks anyway
Lorna

"User Friendly" wrote:

> Lorna Pye wrote:
> > HELP! I inserted some more memory into my PC today and when I switched it
> > back on everything is written in Wingdings! The start menu, the icons,
> > everything!!! I managed to change the list in start up back to System (this
> > was the only font available) but everything else is still in Wingdings. I
> > removed the memory and tried again but it made no difference!
> > I'm getting very desperate!

> Ah...a fantastic mystery....
> If you have "system" fonts, is this sufficient to get into
> control panel | fonts and reinstall your fonts? Look for the
> fonts in windows | fonts. Select them all and reinstall. It
> would seem that the new memory install scrambled the
> registry. Hard to image how your fonts were actually deleted.
> Your other choices, if you can use them, are to backup your
> data and use the Win Install CD to recover your system,
> which might require a whole wipe of the HDD including
> applications. A lucky alternative is to access System
> Restore, but if wingdings is the available font...good luck.
> Upon bootup,hold down F8 and select "return to last known
> good setting," or boot into safe mode and get into system
> restore (get into HELP and search "system restore" (sorry I
> am on win98 machine right now or I'd give you the direct
> connect).
> You might create a "translation table" for wingdings (type
> "a" and note the symbol, type "b" and note the symbol,
> etc.), thus allowing you to get into windows explorer and
> what ever else to make tweaks.
> Report back, please.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
John John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Sep 2006
The computer shop installed Windows without telling you or offering to
salvage/save your data? Don't bring you computer back to that shop!
They're not worth 2 cents in my books, I'm 99.99% sure that ALL your
data could have been very easily recovered!

John

Lorna Pye wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your help. Unfortunately nothing work so I took the whole thing
> to the shop where I bought the memory from and got them to look at it. They
> believe the memory I bought was faulty and it had corrupted Windows! So I now
> have a working PC but with no data, files or programmes on it! Great! Well,
> here we go, starting from scratch!
> Thanks anyway
> Lorna
>
> "User Friendly" wrote:
>
>
>>Lorna Pye wrote:
>>
>>>HELP! I inserted some more memory into my PC today and when I switched it
>>>back on everything is written in Wingdings! The start menu, the icons,
>>>everything!!! I managed to change the list in start up back to System (this
>>>was the only font available) but everything else is still in Wingdings. I
>>>removed the memory and tried again but it made no difference!
>>>I'm getting very desperate!

>>
>>Ah...a fantastic mystery....
>>If you have "system" fonts, is this sufficient to get into
>>control panel | fonts and reinstall your fonts? Look for the
>>fonts in windows | fonts. Select them all and reinstall. It
>>would seem that the new memory install scrambled the
>>registry. Hard to image how your fonts were actually deleted.
>>Your other choices, if you can use them, are to backup your
>>data and use the Win Install CD to recover your system,
>>which might require a whole wipe of the HDD including
>>applications. A lucky alternative is to access System
>>Restore, but if wingdings is the available font...good luck.
>>Upon bootup,hold down F8 and select "return to last known
>>good setting," or boot into safe mode and get into system
>>restore (get into HELP and search "system restore" (sorry I
>>am on win98 machine right now or I'd give you the direct
>>connect).
>>You might create a "translation table" for wingdings (type
>>"a" and note the symbol, type "b" and note the symbol,
>>etc.), thus allowing you to get into windows explorer and
>>what ever else to make tweaks.
>>Report back, please.
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:37 AM.