Errors 0x80070652 and 0x80070663

=?Utf-8?B?RHJlYWRuZWNr?=

      26th Apr 2006
I kept getting error 0x80070652 or 0x80070663 when trying to update WD and
none of the fixes I found in the newsgroup worked. I finally tracked down
the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility at
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301 After
downloading and installing it, I used it to remove the WD definitions update
and then ran WD and checked for updates - problem solved. Hope this helps
somebody else.

=?Utf-8?B?RkxBdFJpY2g=?=

      26th Apr 2006
Tried above and it didn't work for me. Got a balloon message with a red X
telling me that the updates could not be installed because the "wrong disk"
was inserted in drive... and then it vanished before I could write it down.

Meanwhile, the auto update icon in the system tray keeps coming up saying
the updates are ready to download. When I click it it changes to say they are
ready to install and then the installation fails with the following message:

Updates were unable to be successfully installed

The following updates were not installed:
Definition Update 1.14.1408.8 for BETA Windows Defender (KB915597)

Then the auto-update loops and starts again saying the updates are ready to
download. This has been going on for the last day or so.

"Dreadneck" wrote:

> I kept getting error 0x80070652 or 0x80070663 when trying to update WD and
> none of the fixes I found in the newsgroup worked. I finally tracked down
> the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301 After
> downloading and installing it, I used it to remove the WD definitions update
> and then ran WD and checked for updates - problem solved. Hope this helps
> somebody else.

=?Utf-8?B?RkxBdFJpY2g=?=

      26th Apr 2006
The "wrong disk" error message I referred to above:

"WD was unable to complete the update: 0x80240022. The wrong
diskette is in the drive. Insert %2 (Volume Serial Number: %3) drive into
drive %1."

Found in the post below by penguin7 entitled "WD 'Signature Update' could
not be installed."

This is obviously a coding error.

"FLAtRich" wrote:

> Tried above and it didn't work for me. Got a balloon message with a red X
> telling me that the updates could not be installed because the "wrong disk"
> was inserted in drive... and then it vanished before I could write it down.
>
> Meanwhile, the auto update icon in the system tray keeps coming up saying
> the updates are ready to download. When I click it it changes to say they are
> ready to install and then the installation fails with the following message:
>
> Updates were unable to be successfully installed
>
> The following updates were not installed:
> Definition Update 1.14.1408.8 for BETA Windows Defender (KB915597)
>
> Then the auto-update loops and starts again saying the updates are ready to
> download. This has been going on for the last day or so.
>
> "Dreadneck" wrote:
>
> > I kept getting error 0x80070652 or 0x80070663 when trying to update WD and
> > none of the fixes I found in the newsgroup worked. I finally tracked down
> > the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility at
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301 After
> > downloading and installing it, I used it to remove the WD definitions update
> > and then ran WD and checked for updates - problem solved. Hope this helps
> > somebody else.

=?Utf-8?B?RHJlYWRuZWNr?=

      27th Apr 2006
Try the following, it might work:

1) Uninstall WD thru Add and Remove Programs

2) Launch cmd prompt

3) MsiExec.exe /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

4) Delete all contents of Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates

5) Reinstall WD

"FLAtRich" wrote:

> The "wrong disk" error message I referred to above:
>
> "WD was unable to complete the update: 0x80240022. The wrong
> diskette is in the drive. Insert %2 (Volume Serial Number: %3) drive into
> drive %1."
>
> Found in the post below by penguin7 entitled "WD 'Signature Update' could
> not be installed."
>
> This is obviously a coding error.
>
> "FLAtRich" wrote:
>
> > Tried above and it didn't work for me. Got a balloon message with a red X
> > telling me that the updates could not be installed because the "wrong disk"
> > was inserted in drive... and then it vanished before I could write it down.
> >
> > Meanwhile, the auto update icon in the system tray keeps coming up saying
> > the updates are ready to download. When I click it it changes to say they are
> > ready to install and then the installation fails with the following message:
> >
> > Updates were unable to be successfully installed
> >
> > The following updates were not installed:
> > Definition Update 1.14.1408.8 for BETA Windows Defender (KB915597)
> >
> > Then the auto-update loops and starts again saying the updates are ready to
> > download. This has been going on for the last day or so.
> >
> > "Dreadneck" wrote:
> >
> > > I kept getting error 0x80070652 or 0x80070663 when trying to update WD and
> > > none of the fixes I found in the newsgroup worked. I finally tracked down
> > > the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility at
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301 After
> > > downloading and installing it, I used it to remove the WD definitions update
> > > and then ran WD and checked for updates - problem solved. Hope this helps
> > > somebody else.

=?Utf-8?B?RkxBdFJpY2g=?=

      27th Apr 2006
(Sigh.)

Thanks. Before I try this I guess I should note the following for the record:

I'm currently running these WD versions and signature update version

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0
Engine Version: 1.1.1372.0
Signature Version: 1.14.1404.6

I did find a way to stop the annoying loop in auto-updates - I turned off
Windows automatic updates and cleaned up my drive in the usual way using Disk
Cleanup (and removed all the temp files that Disk Cleanup always seems to
miss from my ..\Local Settings\Temp directory.) I ran ScanDisk and defragged
the drive and turned on auto updates and the auto update systray icon did not
return and loop etc.

I started up this morning and tried updating the def set by hitting Check
for Updates in WD. The program checked and gave me the now-familiar drive
missing error.

I am now downloading the latest WD build (which is later than the one I
have, according to other posts in this group) hoping to reinstall and fix the
problem.

to be continued...

"Dreadneck" wrote:

> Try the following, it might work:
>
> 1) Uninstall WD thru Add and Remove Programs
>
> 2) Launch cmd prompt
>
> 3) MsiExec.exe /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}
>
> 4) Delete all contents of Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates
>
> 5) Reinstall WD
>

> "FLAtRich" wrote:
>
> > The "wrong disk" error message I referred to above:
> >
> > "WD was unable to complete the update: 0x80240022. The wrong
> > diskette is in the drive. Insert %2 (Volume Serial Number: %3) drive into
> > drive %1."
> >
> > Found in the post below by penguin7 entitled "WD 'Signature Update' could
> > not be installed."
> >
> > This is obviously a coding error.
> >
> > "FLAtRich" wrote:
> >
> > > Tried above and it didn't work for me. Got a balloon message with a red X
> > > telling me that the updates could not be installed because the "wrong disk"
> > > was inserted in drive... and then it vanished before I could write it down.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, the auto update icon in the system tray keeps coming up saying
> > > the updates are ready to download. When I click it it changes to say they are
> > > ready to install and then the installation fails with the following message:
> > >
> > > Updates were unable to be successfully installed
> > >
> > > The following updates were not installed:
> > > Definition Update 1.14.1408.8 for BETA Windows Defender (KB915597)
> > >
> > > Then the auto-update loops and starts again saying the updates are ready to
> > > download. This has been going on for the last day or so.

=?Utf-8?B?RkxBdFJpY2g=?=

      27th Apr 2006
OK. I turned off and uninstalled WD, installed the newer build and let WD get
the update. All is well and I am once again protected from the scum of the
Internet (take that, you dasterdly bad guys!)

Now running:

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1347.0
Engine Version: 1.1.1372.0
Definition Version: 1.14.1408.8

Of course it may all happen again with the next auto-update, but that's
Beta, baby...