Error: The printer name is invalid

Andy Jones

      27th Sep 2003
Error: The printer name is invalid

Subject matter says it all.

This is a locally attached printer via the LPT1 printer port on a
Windows 2000 Server SP4.

I've tried attaching it to other Windows 2000 Servers with SP3 and the
same problem exists.

After successfully be able to connect to this shared printer from
other Windows 2000 Professional SP3/SP4 computers, I now believe the
fault lies with this one notebook which happens to be on Windows 2000
SP2. Is this the cause?

The printer is a Lexmark Optra SC 1275. The printer is shared on the
server with various share names, and even if I change the sharename to
printer/anything, I still get Error: The printer name is invalid, when
browsing the printer share see picture at
http://www.cyrusconsultants.demon.co.uk/printer.jpg

I've searched the registry of this machine, looking for printer driver
names, and sharenames and find nothing.

Any ideas as to what the problem is. I do not want to have to
implement SP3/SP4 on this workstation, unless someone can tell me
conclusively this is the fix for the problem.

Regards

Andrew

Andy Jones

      6th Oct 2003
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:16:26 +0100, Andy Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Error: The printer name is invalid
>
>Subject matter says it all.
>
>This is a locally attached printer via the LPT1 printer port on a
>Windows 2000 Server SP4.
>
>I've tried attaching it to other Windows 2000 Servers with SP3 and the
>same problem exists.
>
>After successfully be able to connect to this shared printer from
>other Windows 2000 Professional SP3/SP4 computers, I now believe the
>fault lies with this one notebook which happens to be on Windows 2000
>SP2. Is this the cause?
>
>The printer is a Lexmark Optra SC 1275. The printer is shared on the
>server with various share names, and even if I change the sharename to
>printer/anything, I still get Error: The printer name is invalid, when
>browsing the printer share see picture at
>http://www.cyrusconsultants.demon.co.uk/printer.jpg
>
>I've searched the registry of this machine, looking for printer driver
>names, and sharenames and find nothing.
>
>Any ideas as to what the problem is. I do not want to have to
>implement SP3/SP4 on this workstation, unless someone can tell me
>conclusively this is the fix for the problem.
>
>Regards
>
>Andrew

okay, I've upgraded from SP2 to SP3, and it's made no difference, I
still get the above error.

AJ