Error Message

Rosalind

      6th Jan 2008
I encountered an error about corrupt file isapnp.sys and was asked to repair.
Did it by following instructions with XP CD and got to prompt, I was told to
rename the file isapnp.sys isapnp.old (some of my old dos knowledge comes in
handy) but it kept saying file is not a directory. I am not sure what it
means as I can see the file in the directory
c:\window\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys - all I wanted is to rename the file
and then expand the cd and copy the new file to replace. I cannot get pass
the stage. Please hlp you clever guys out there.

JS

      6th Jan 2008
In the Windows Explorer toolbar select: Tools/Folder Options
In the Folder Options window click on the 'View' tab
Now select 'Show hidden files and folders'
Un-check 'Hide extensions for know files types'
Click 'Apply' to accept changes and 'OK' exit.

JS

"Rosalind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I encountered an error about corrupt file isapnp.sys and was asked to
>repair.
> Did it by following instructions with XP CD and got to prompt, I was told
> rename the file isapnp.sys isapnp.old (some of my old dos knowledge comes
> in
> handy) but it kept saying file is not a directory. I am not sure what it
> means as I can see the file in the directory
> c:\window\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys - all I wanted is to rename the file
> and then expand the cd and copy the new file to replace. I cannot get pass
> the stage. Please hlp you clever guys out there.

Karl Snooks

      7th Jan 2008
Rosalind,

Since your familiar with DOS:
Win+R | type CMD | hit Enter key

CD C:\windows\system32\drivers
rename isapnp.sys isapnp.old
Exit

Karl Snooks

"Rosalind" wrote:

> I encountered an error about corrupt file isapnp.sys and was asked to repair.
> Did it by following instructions with XP CD and got to prompt, I was told to
> rename the file isapnp.sys isapnp.old (some of my old dos knowledge comes in
> handy) but it kept saying file is not a directory. I am not sure what it
> means as I can see the file in the directory
> c:\window\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys - all I wanted is to rename the file
> and then expand the cd and copy the new file to replace. I cannot get pass
> the stage. Please hlp you clever guys out there.

Rosalind

      7th Jan 2008
Hi Karl,

Did what you said in DOS mode (after I have start XP Cd and use Repair
console) I tried ren isapnp.sys isapnp.old but it kept saying that the file
is not a directory. Itried everything, from \windows to \windows\system32 to
\windows\system32\drivers

All do not work.

"Karl Snooks" wrote:

> Rosalind,
>
> Since your familiar with DOS:
> Win+R | type CMD | hit Enter key
>
> CD C:\windows\system32\drivers
> rename isapnp.sys isapnp.old
> Exit
>
> Karl Snooks
>

> "Rosalind" wrote:
>
> > I encountered an error about corrupt file isapnp.sys and was asked to repair.
> > Did it by following instructions with XP CD and got to prompt, I was told to
> > rename the file isapnp.sys isapnp.old (some of my old dos knowledge comes in
> > handy) but it kept saying file is not a directory. I am not sure what it
> > means as I can see the file in the directory
> > c:\window\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys - all I wanted is to rename the file
> > and then expand the cd and copy the new file to replace. I cannot get pass
> > the stage. Please hlp you clever guys out there.

Karl Snooks

      7th Jan 2008
Hi Rosalind,
Do me a favor and:
Win+R | CMD | hit Enter key

type CD
hit the Enter key

Now write down exactly what you have for a DOS prompt.

type CD\
hit the Enter key

Now write down exactly what you have for a DOS prompt.

type EXIT
hit the Enter key

Let me know the DOS prompt you saw after entering simply CD

and the DOS prompt after entering CD\

Karl Snooks