error message

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFdvb2Rlbg==?=

      4th Jun 2007
When I try to download the latest defination for Windows Defender I receive
an error code 0x80040154. What do I need to know about this and what do I
need to do to correct this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      4th Jun 2007
Hello George,

Please try my solution applicate here:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...c-c802004e7031

I hope this post is helpful, but we would highly appreciate it if you could
rate the pºst, so we can keep the community informed and saves somebody else
the hours of trawling through the web trying to find a solution.

Еиçеl
--

SIN
Few serve Satan better than sleeping saints.

"George Wooden" wrote:

> When I try to download the latest defination for Windows Defender I receive
> an error code 0x80040154. What do I need to know about this and what do I
> need to do to correct this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFdvb2Rlbg==?=

      4th Jun 2007
Hello Engel. I read your link, and ried to locate the file Eventvwr.msc. I
did a search of my harddrive, and this must be a Windows XP file as I could
not locate such a file in Vista premium. Here is the data I have on my
Windows Defender version if this will help
Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1505.0
Engine Version: 1.1.2503.0
Definition Version: 1.18.2533.5

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello George,
>
> Please try my solution applicate here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...c-c802004e7031
>

> I hope this post is helpful, but we would highly appreciate it if you could
> rate the pºst, so we can keep the community informed and saves somebody else
> the hours of trawling through the web trying to find a solution.
>
> Еиçеl
> --
>

> SIN
> Few serve Satan better than sleeping saints.
> --
>

> "George Wooden" wrote:
>
> > When I try to download the latest defination for Windows Defender I receive
> > an error code 0x80040154. What do I need to know about this and what do I
> > need to do to correct this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      4th Jun 2007
Hi George,

Make a Restore Point.

Get Dial-a-Fix,

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-a-fix
Direct download: Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24 (2006-10-27)
File type: .zip archive, containing Dial-a-fix.exe and secedit.exe (for
Repair permissions purposes)
Size: 335,992 bytes
MD5sum: 2c23c77cc3ec0ce7206e66d48e7adfae

Run this program with all the functions activated.

Reboot.

Can you go to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority
updates), and apply all offered updates

http://update.microsoft.com

The update for WD should be there.

NOTE For the Event Viewer

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...dfa4f1033.mspx

The update for WD should be there.

Let us know how this turns out?

Еиçеl
--

VALUE
It is no good hen, that cackles in your house and lays in anothers.

"George Wooden" wrote:

> Hello Engel. I read your link, and ried to locate the file Eventvwr.msc. I
> did a search of my harddrive, and this must be a Windows XP file as I could
> not locate such a file in Vista premium. Here is the data I have on my
> Windows Defender version if this will help
> Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1505.0
> Engine Version: 1.1.2503.0
> Definition Version: 1.18.2533.5
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello George,
> >
> > Please try my solution applicate here:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...c-c802004e7031
> >

> > I hope this post is helpful, but we would highly appreciate it if you could
> > rate the pºst, so we can keep the community informed and saves somebody else
> > the hours of trawling through the web trying to find a solution.
> >
> > Еиçеl
> > --
> >

> > SIN
> > Few serve Satan better than sleeping saints.
> > --
> >

> > "George Wooden" wrote:
> >
> > > When I try to download the latest defination for Windows Defender I receive
> > > an error code 0x80040154. What do I need to know about this and what do I
> > > need to do to correct this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFdvb2Rlbg==?=

      4th Jun 2007
I downloaded the dial-a-fix and extracted the files, but it not operable
under windows vista. What now?

"Engel" wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> Make a Restore Point.
>
> Get Dial-a-Fix,
>
> http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
>
> Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-a-fix
> Direct download: Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24 (2006-10-27)
> File type: .zip archive, containing Dial-a-fix.exe and secedit.exe (for
> Repair permissions purposes)
> Size: 335,992 bytes
> MD5sum: 2c23c77cc3ec0ce7206e66d48e7adfae
>
> Run this program with all the functions activated.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Can you go to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority
> updates), and apply all offered updates
>
> http://update.microsoft.com
>
> The update for WD should be there.
>
> NOTE For the Event Viewer
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...dfa4f1033.mspx
>
> The update for WD should be there.
>
> Let us know how this turns out?
>
> Еиçеl
> --
>

> VALUE
> It is no good hen, that cackles in your house and lays in anothers.
>
> "George Wooden" wrote:
>
> > Hello Engel. I read your link, and ried to locate the file Eventvwr.msc. I
> > did a search of my harddrive, and this must be a Windows XP file as I could
> > not locate such a file in Vista premium. Here is the data I have on my
> > Windows Defender version if this will help
> > Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1505.0
> > Engine Version: 1.1.2503.0
> > Definition Version: 1.18.2533.5
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello George,
> > >
> > > Please try my solution applicate here:
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...c-c802004e7031
> > >

> > > I hope this post is helpful, but we would highly appreciate it if you could
> > > rate the pºst, so we can keep the community informed and saves somebody else
> > > the hours of trawling through the web trying to find a solution.
> > >
> > > Еиçеl
> > > --
> > >

> > > SIN
> > > Few serve Satan better than sleeping saints.
> > > --

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      4th Jun 2007
Try this, right click and select Run as an Admistraitor.
--

HANGING
The thief is sorry he is to be hanged, not that he is a thief.

"George Wooden" wrote:

> I downloaded the dial-a-fix and extracted the files, but it not operable
> under windows vista. What now?
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hi George,
> >
> > Make a Restore Point.
> >
> > Get Dial-a-Fix,
> >
> > http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
> >
> > Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-a-fix
> > Direct download: Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24 (2006-10-27)
> > File type: .zip archive, containing Dial-a-fix.exe and secedit.exe (for
> > Repair permissions purposes)
> > Size: 335,992 bytes
> > MD5sum: 2c23c77cc3ec0ce7206e66d48e7adfae
> >
> > Run this program with all the functions activated.
> >
> > Reboot.
> >
> > Can you go to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority
> > updates), and apply all offered updates
> >
> > http://update.microsoft.com
> >
> > The update for WD should be there.
> >
> > NOTE For the Event Viewer
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...dfa4f1033.mspx
> >
> > The update for WD should be there.
> >
> > Let us know how this turns out?
> >
> > Еиçеl
> > --
> >

> > VALUE
> > It is no good hen, that cackles in your house and lays in anothers.
> >
> > "George Wooden" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Engel. I read your link, and ried to locate the file Eventvwr.msc. I
> > > did a search of my harddrive, and this must be a Windows XP file as I could
> > > not locate such a file in Vista premium. Here is the data I have on my
> > > Windows Defender version if this will help
> > > Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1505.0
> > > Engine Version: 1.1.2503.0
> > > Definition Version: 1.18.2533.5

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      4th Jun 2007
Hi George,

The error code 0x80040154 can occur if the Internet Explorer cache has been
corrupted, the XML components have not been registered properly, or the
Windows Update temporary folder has been corrupted.

Version: 1.18.2533.5 was issue May 4. Are you was able tu get the Windows
Updates on May 9 ??

If you get the Windows Updates that date, you can use the System restore
point and go back to that date or the next SRP after the 9th. And update WD,
you don't loose any personal data.

Good night.
--

REVOLUTION
Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.

"Engel" wrote:

> Try this, right click and select Run as an Admistraitor.
> --
>

> HANGING
> The thief is sorry he is to be hanged, not that he is a thief.
>
> "George Wooden" wrote:
>
> > I downloaded the dial-a-fix and extracted the files, but it not operable
> > under windows vista. What now?
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi George,
> > >
> > > Make a Restore Point.
> > >
> > > Get Dial-a-Fix,
> > >
> > > http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
> > >
> > > Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-a-fix
> > > Direct download: Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24 (2006-10-27)
> > > File type: .zip archive, containing Dial-a-fix.exe and secedit.exe (for
> > > Repair permissions purposes)
> > > Size: 335,992 bytes
> > > MD5sum: 2c23c77cc3ec0ce7206e66d48e7adfae
> > >
> > > Run this program with all the functions activated.
> > >
> > > Reboot.
> > >
> > > Can you go to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority
> > > updates), and apply all offered updates
> > >
> > > http://update.microsoft.com
> > >
> > > The update for WD should be there.
> > >
> > > NOTE For the Event Viewer
> > >
> > > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...dfa4f1033.mspx
> > >
> > > The update for WD should be there.
> > >
> > > Let us know how this turns out?
> > >
> > > Еиçеl
> > > --
> > >

> > > VALUE
> > > It is no good hen, that cackles in your house and lays in anothers.

Bill Sanderson MVP

      4th Jun 2007
George, I don't know the answer yet, but lets see if we can move forward.

You can get the latest definitions for your version of Vista from:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal

Check the right hand column. You'll need to know whether you are running
the 64 bit version of Vista or the 32-bit. If you are uncertain of this
answer, choose the 32-bit definitions. This will be correct even if you
know that you are using a machine with a 64-bit processor. (In this case,
the bittedness refers to the OS that is running, rather than the processor.
64 bit processors can run the 32-bit versions of Windows without any speed
penalty, and most of them are, in fact, doing so._

Let's see if that gets your definitions up to date. Once that is the case,
you could also re-try the update operation, just to see whether anything has
changed.

When you get the error message--how is the update being obtained? Through
Help, check for updates, in Windows Defender, or via Windows Update ?

The Event Viewer is probably most easily reached in Vista by hitting the
Start button, and typing "event viewer" without the quotes, into the search
box. On my Vista machine, that brings in one result up at the top, which
when clicked, starts the Event Viewer, after a UAC alert, and some
significant effort. Typing eventvwr.msc in that same search box also works.

All that said, I'm not sure what to look for. In XP, I'd look in the system
event log, going back to the time the error ocurred, and look for a log
record related to that error. If you can find sucn a log record, it would
be interesting to see what the content is--you can copy and paste back to
this forum.

--

news(E-Mail Removed)...