Error message; Setupdd.sys could not be loaded Error code 4

Rhea.Valentino

      6th Jan 2004
I added 256mb, memory, and now have 512mb, I wipped the
hard drive clean, it would not take, XP, so I loaded
Win98se, then tried to load XP and got this message, I
CAANOT even get to the desktop now, to assist in the
problem solving... after booting, I get a c:>...and can
go no further. I have typed in every prompt imaginable. I
have been down since Thanksgiving!!! Any ideas?? Any
suggestions are welcome.
thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      6th Jan 2004
The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

7. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

8. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

news:09c001c3d453$911b5ed0$(E-Mail Removed)...