Error Message: Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components

fjg

      23rd Apr 2005
I have written a batch file to run at client startup to delete an old
program and add the new version:

@ECHO ON
:: INITIALIZE GLOBAL VARIABLES
CALL setup/initVariables

:: SILENT UNINSTALLATION FOR PREVIOUS VERSION
CALL setup/silentUninstall

:: SILENT INSTALLATION
CALL setup/silentInstall
PAUSE

When running the batch file everything executes except the the silent
install at the end. I keep getting the message: Please go to the
Control Panel to install and configure system components.

As you can see I divided up the uninstallation and installation process
into 2 seperate batch files. I can run both of these batch files
individually without any problem, however I cannot run them from a
single batch file (from the code above).

I am logged in as the admin so I am sure this shouldn't be a file
permission or security issue. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Phil Wilson

      24th Apr 2005
This is sometimes caused by an registry entry in:
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/App Paths/setup.exe
that ends up initiating setup.exe in Windows\System32. The setup.exe there
displays that message. Delete that registry entry. If only everyone stopped
calling their programs setup!
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"fjg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have written a batch file to run at client startup to delete an old
> program and add the new version:
>

> @ECHO ON
> :: INITIALIZE GLOBAL VARIABLES
> CALL setup/initVariables
>
> :: SILENT UNINSTALLATION FOR PREVIOUS VERSION
> CALL setup/silentUninstall
>
> :: SILENT INSTALLATION
> CALL setup/silentInstall
> PAUSE
>

> When running the batch file everything executes except the the silent
> install at the end. I keep getting the message: Please go to the
> Control Panel to install and configure system components.
>
> As you can see I divided up the uninstallation and installation process
> into 2 seperate batch files. I can run both of these batch files
> individually without any problem, however I cannot run them from a
> single batch file (from the code above).
>
> I am logged in as the admin so I am sure this shouldn't be a file
> permission or security issue. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!

fjg

      24th Apr 2005
Thanks for the help, but unfortunately that solution didn't work. In
fact the setup file is called 'setupWin32.exe'. I even renamed it to
something crazy like '271setupWin32ABC.exe' and still no luck.

Currently, the only solution I have is to merge all the batch files
into a single one, but that destroys the reuseablity factor.

Any and all ideas are welcomed!

New Member

      29th Jun 2007
I am guessing from your code snippet that "setup" is the name of a folder that contains other batch files called initVariables, silentUninstall, and silentInstall.

Windows is not recognizing "setup" as a folder name and so is executing the setup.exe that it finds in your system path (i.e. the one in your system32 folder).

First, you need to use a backslash instead of a forward slash between the folder name and the called batch file (i.e. use CALL setup\initVariables instead of CALL setup/initVariables)

Next, it is always good practice to qualify sub-folder names so that the system does not mistake them for file names. For example:
CALL .\setup\initVariables

New Member

      2nd Mar 2009
"This is sometimes caused by an registry entry in:
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/App Paths/setup.exe
that ends up initiating setup.exe in Windows\System32. The setup.exe there
displays that message. Delete that registry entry. If only everyone stopped
calling their programs setup!"

This method may have not worked for the other guy but it definitely got my Symantec Endpoint Antivirus going! Thanks!