Error in the licensing protocol

=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=

      17th Jan 2005
hi,

My clients tried to connect to our TS (a W2K server with SP4) using RDP
client. On 2 identical built machines (e.g. Dell GX280) and both running
WinXP SP2, one can and one can't connect to this TS. The exact error message
is: "The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the
licensing protocol. Please try connecting to the remote computer again or
contact your server administrator."

I found from MS
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...tshoot_lic.asp,
which got the exact error message. But, after tried the solution, problem
still there. I'm just wondering anyone can help.

Thanks,
Dom

Vera Noest [MVP]

      17th Jan 2005
Which Events do you see in the EventLog on the Terminal Server?

Note: I hope that you didn't follow the instructions about
hardcoding the name of the Licensing Server into the registry of
the Terminal Server.
The instructions on the page that you found are specific for
Windows 2003.
W2K uses a slightly different method:

239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
License Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 17 jan
2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:

3
> /standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?

url=/resources/documentation
> /WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/mstsc_tshoot_lic.asp,
> which got the exact error message. But, after tried the
> solution, problem still there. I'm just wondering anyone can
> help.
>
> Thanks,
> Dom

=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=

      17th Jan 2005
Hi Vera,

Thanks for your response on this. The event ID is 1004 which means the
server failed to contact the license server to renew a license. However, the
event was generated only when a client failed to connect (the one got the
below error). If a client was successfully connected, this event won't be
generated.

I didn't hardcode the "DefaultLicenseServer" and there is no such key in the
registry. Would it be better to specify one? I also found that the key
"UseLicenseServer" set to '0' that means not being used. But, we definitely
installed a certificate for the server itself. This server is part of a
domain and we don't have a license server on any Domain Controller. The
person who set this up no longer with our company and I'm not sure how he
installed the licenses.

Any suggestion will be highly regarded.

Thanks,
Dom

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> Which Events do you see in the EventLog on the Terminal Server?
>
> Note: I hope that you didn't follow the instructions about
> hardcoding the name of the Licensing Server into the registry of
> the Terminal Server.
> The instructions on the page that you found are specific for
> Windows 2003.
> W2K uses a slightly different method:
>
> 239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
> License Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 17 jan
> 2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > My clients tried to connect to our TS (a W2K server with SP4)
> > using RDP client. On 2 identical built machines (e.g. Dell
> > GX280) and both running WinXP SP2, one can and one can't connect
> > to this TS. The exact error message is: "The remote computer
> > disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing
> > protocol. Please try connecting to the remote computer again or
> > contact your server administrator."
> >
> > I found from MS
> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...indowsServ/200

> 3
> > /standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?

> url=/resources/documentation
> > /WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/mstsc_tshoot_lic.asp,
> > which got the exact error message. But, after tried the
> > solution, problem still there. I'm just wondering anyone can
> > help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dom

Vera Noest [MVP]

      18th Jan 2005
No, you should not have to hardcode the DefaultLicenseServer, I
only mentioned this because it is part of the troubleshooting tips
that you said you followed, and those are for 2003.

But you have me very confused now, by writing:
> "we don't have a license server on any Domain Controller"

If so, that's your problem. You must install and activate a TS
Licensing Server, and it must run on one of your Domain
Controllers. As soon as it is activated, it will issue free TS
CALs to your W2K Pro and XP Pro clients, from the built-in pool of
licenses from the Licensing Server. All other clients need a
purchased TS CAL.

Windows 2000 Terminal Services Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000.../pricing/tsfaq
..asp

--

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d.../WindowsServ/2
>> > 00

>> 3
>> > /standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?

>> url=/resources/documentation
>> > /WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-

us/mstsc_tshoot_lic.asp
>> > , which got the exact error message. But, after tried the
>> > solution, problem still there. I'm just wondering anyone can
>> > help.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Dom

=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=

      19th Jan 2005
Thanks Vera. I thought so too. I guess when the guy set up the machine with
W2k server. He activated terminal service licenses on the server before
joining onto our domain (when it was in workgroup). But, the weird thing is
that it has been working for a year and a half like this.
The other question will be: If I set up a new Windows 2003 server with
terminal service licensing turned on and have my existing W2K TS server
hardcode to this w2k3 server for license, will this work?

Thanks,
Dom

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > Dom
> >

> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Which Events do you see in the EventLog on the Terminal Server?
> >>
> >> Note: I hope that you didn't follow the instructions about
> >> hardcoding the name of the Licensing Server into the registry
> >> of the Terminal Server.
> >> The instructions on the page that you found are specific for
> >> Windows 2003.
> >> W2K uses a slightly different method:
> >>
> >> 239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
> >> License Server
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >>
> >> "=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 17
> >> jan 2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:

Vera Noest [MVP]

      19th Jan 2005
Yes, that should work without any problems.
A 2003 TS Licensing Server can handle both W2K and 2003 TS CALs.

In case you haven't seen the W2K version:

239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
License Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 19 jan
2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:

> Thanks Vera. I thought so too. I guess when the guy set up the
> machine with W2k server. He activated terminal service licenses
> on the server before joining onto our domain (when it was in
> workgroup). But, the weird thing is that it has been working
> for a year and a half like this. The other question will be: If
> I set up a new Windows 2003 server with terminal service
> licensing turned on and have my existing W2K TS server hardcode
> to this w2k3 server for license, will this work?
>
> Thanks,
> Dom
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> No, you should not have to hardcode the DefaultLicenseServer, I
>> only mentioned this because it is part of the troubleshooting
>> tips that you said you followed, and those are for 2003.
>>
>> But you have me very confused now, by writing:
>> > "we don't have a license server on any Domain Controller"

>> If so, that's your problem. You must install and activate a TS
>> Licensing Server, and it must run on one of your Domain
>> Controllers. As soon as it is activated, it will issue free TS
>> CALs to your W2K Pro and XP Pro clients, from the built-in pool
>> of licenses from the Licensing Server. All other clients need a
>> purchased TS CAL.
>>
>> Windows 2000 Terminal Services Licensing FAQ
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...uy/pricing/tsf
>> aq ..asp
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 17
>> jan 2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:
>>
>> > Hi Vera,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your response on this. The event ID is 1004 which
>> > means the server failed to contact the license server to
>> > renew a license. However, the event was generated only when
>> > a client failed to connect (the one got the below error). If
>> > a client was successfully connected, this event won't be
>> > generated.
>> >
>> > I didn't hardcode the "DefaultLicenseServer" and there is no
>> > such key in the registry. Would it be better to specify one?
>> > I also found that the key "UseLicenseServer" set to '0' that
>> > means not being used. But, we definitely installed a
>> > certificate for the server itself. This server is part of a
>> > domain and we don't have a license server on any Domain
>> > Controller. The person who set this up no longer with our
>> > company and I'm not sure how he installed the licenses.
>> >
>> > Any suggestion will be highly regarded.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Dom

>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d.../WindowsServ/2

>> us/mstsc_tshoot_lic.asp

=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=

      20th Jan 2005
Thanks for your advice, Vera!

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> Yes, that should work without any problems.
> A 2003 TS Licensing Server can handle both W2K and 2003 TS CALs.
>
> In case you haven't seen the W2K version:
>
> 239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
> License Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 19 jan
> 2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:
>
> > Thanks Vera. I thought so too. I guess when the guy set up the
> > machine with W2k server. He activated terminal service licenses
> > on the server before joining onto our domain (when it was in
> > workgroup). But, the weird thing is that it has been working
> > for a year and a half like this. The other question will be: If
> > I set up a new Windows 2003 server with terminal service
> > licensing turned on and have my existing W2K TS server hardcode
> > to this w2k3 server for license, will this work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dom
> >
> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> No, you should not have to hardcode the DefaultLicenseServer, I
> >> only mentioned this because it is part of the troubleshooting
> >> tips that you said you followed, and those are for 2003.
> >>
> >> But you have me very confused now, by writing:
> >>
> >> If so, that's your problem. You must install and activate a TS
> >> Licensing Server, and it must run on one of your Domain
> >> Controllers. As soon as it is activated, it will issue free TS
> >> CALs to your W2K Pro and XP Pro clients, from the built-in pool
> >> of licenses from the Licensing Server. All other clients need a
> >> purchased TS CAL.
> >>
> >> Windows 2000 Terminal Services Licensing FAQ
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...uy/pricing/tsf
> >> aq ..asp
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >>
> >> "=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on 17
> >> jan 2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:

> >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d.../WindowsServ/2
> >> us/mstsc_tshoot_lic.asp

New Member

      23rd Apr 2010
"The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol , please assist me on the above error tried RDP from XP. 2003 machine but not able to connect the server is 2000 sp4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera Noest [MVP]
Which Events do you see in the EventLog on the Terminal Server?

Note: I hope that you didn't follow the instructions about
hardcoding the name of the Licensing Server into the registry of
the Terminal Server.
The instructions on the page that you found are specific for
Windows 2003.
W2K uses a slightly different method:

239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
License Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" wrote on 17 jan
2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:

> hi,
>
> My clients tried to connect to our TS (a W2K server with SP4)
> using RDP client. On 2 identical built machines (e.g. Dell
> GX280) and both running WinXP SP2, one can and one can't connect
> to this TS. The exact error message is: "The remote computer
> disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing
> protocol. Please try connecting to the remote computer again or
> contact your server administrator."
>
> I found from MS
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...indowsServ/200

3
> /standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?

url=/resources/documentation
> /WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/mstsc_tshoot_lic.asp,
> which got the exact error message. But, after tried the
> solution, problem still there. I'm just wondering anyone can
> help.
>
> Thanks,
> Dom

New Member

      23rd Apr 2010
"The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol error , The server is 2000 Sp4 , can someone assit me please

Thanks Anil