Error "this installation package could not be opened."

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBZZW9tYW4=?=

      15th Jul 2006
Hi Guys

I have downloaded the latest defender.msi file, but when I try to install, I
get the following message:

"this installation package could not be opened. contact the application
vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package."

Any suggestions?
--
Paul Yeoman
Scarborough

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBZZW9tYW4=?=

      15th Jul 2006
Just to add to my last message. I am running XP with all updates in place.
--
Paul Yeoman
Scarborough

"Paul Yeoman" wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I have downloaded the latest defender.msi file, but when I try to install, I
> get the following message:
>
> "this installation package could not be opened. contact the application
> vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package."
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
> Paul Yeoman
> Scarborough
> North Yorkshire
> England

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      15th Jul 2006
Hello paul,

Do you have installed Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435)
?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

"Paul Yeoman" wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I have downloaded the latest defender.msi file, but when I try to install, I
> get the following message:
>
> "this installation package could not be opened. contact the application
> vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package."
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
> Paul Yeoman
> Scarborough
> North Yorkshire
> England

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBZZW9tYW4=?=

      15th Jul 2006
Hi Engel

I actually uninstalled the undermentioned installer, and on reboot, it was
reloaded as part of the update routine. I thought that this may be where the
problem was, but no joy.
--
Paul Yeoman
Scarborough

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello paul,
>
> Do you have installed Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435)
> ?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803
>

> "Paul Yeoman" wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > I have downloaded the latest defender.msi file, but when I try to install, I
> > get the following message:
> >
> > "this installation package could not be opened. contact the application
> > vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package."
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > --
> > Paul Yeoman
> > Scarborough
> > North Yorkshire
> > England

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      15th Jul 2006
Hi Paul,

I hope you try to install the 32-bit version is for the 99% of the users is
named Windows Defender.msi

The X64 is the 64bit installer - unless you have the 64bit XP Pro (which most
do not have) you will wªnt "WindowsDefender.msi"

Download this one:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-f7f14e605a0d is the 32 bit version (x86)

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
--

"Paul Yeoman" wrote:

> Hi Engel
>
> I actually uninstalled the undermentioned installer, and on reboot, it was
> reloaded as part of the update routine. I thought that this may be where the
> problem was, but no joy.
> --
> Paul Yeoman
> Scarborough
> North Yorkshire
> England
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello paul,
> >
> > Do you have installed Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435)
> > ?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803
> >

> > "Paul Yeoman" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guys
> > >
> > > I have downloaded the latest defender.msi file, but when I try to install, I
> > > get the following message:
> > >
> > > "this installation package could not be opened. contact the application
> > > vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package."
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > > --
> > > Paul Yeoman
> > > Scarborough
> > > North Yorkshire
> > > England

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBZZW9tYW4=?=

      15th Jul 2006
Sorry to Disappoint Engel, but the version I downloaded was:
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86, which is the version required.

I did try and load other *.msi programs and these would install with no
problem, so it looks like a problem with 'WD' :-(

--
Paul Yeoman
Scarborough

"Engel" wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I hope you try to install the 32-bit version is for the 99% of the users is
> named Windows Defender.msi
>
> The X64 is the 64bit installer - unless you have the 64bit XP Pro (which most
> do not have) you will wªnt "WindowsDefender.msi"
>
> Download this one:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-f7f14e605a0d is the 32 bit version (x86)
>
> For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> --
>
> "Paul Yeoman" wrote:
>
> > Hi Engel
> >
> > I actually uninstalled the undermentioned installer, and on reboot, it was
> > reloaded as part of the update routine. I thought that this may be where the
> > problem was, but no joy.
> > --
> > Paul Yeoman
> > Scarborough
> > North Yorkshire
> > England
> >

> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello paul,
> > >
> > > Do you have installed Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435)
> > > ?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      15th Jul 2006
I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
desktop.
After the download is complete, disable real-time protection by your
antivirus for long enough to do the installation. please disable or turn off
as much other software that always runs as you can--real time antivirus
scanning, any other antispyware software, (Stop all programs that are open in
the bottom taskbar) etc.
--

"Paul Yeoman" wrote:

> Sorry to Disappoint Engel, but the version I downloaded was:
> WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86, which is the version required.
>
> I did try and load other *.msi programs and these would install with no
> problem, so it looks like a problem with 'WD' :-(
>
> --
> Paul Yeoman
> Scarborough
> North Yorkshire
> England
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > I hope you try to install the 32-bit version is for the 99% of the users is
> > named Windows Defender.msi
> >
> > The X64 is the 64bit installer - unless you have the 64bit XP Pro (which most
> > do not have) you will wªnt "WindowsDefender.msi"
> >
> > Download this one:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-f7f14e605a0d is the 32 bit version (x86)
> >
> > For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> > --
> >
> > "Paul Yeoman" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Engel
> > >
> > > I actually uninstalled the undermentioned installer, and on reboot, it was
> > > reloaded as part of the update routine. I thought that this may be where the
> > > problem was, but no joy.
> > > --
> > > Paul Yeoman
> > > Scarborough
> > > North Yorkshire

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

      1st Aug 2006
enable MSI installer logging with options "VOICEWARMUP" from the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300.

--
-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]