ERROR "insert a disk into drive\device\Harddisk1\DR1"

Karen

      10th Nov 2003
Got this error message when I booted up this morning.

"...insert a disk into drive\device\Harddisk1\DR1"

I just closed the window and didn't have any problems.
Then the error message appeared again this evening when I
opened McAfee. Again, I just closed the error window
without any ill effects.

This is the first time I've seen the message since I got
this computer - about three months ago. I haven't
installed any software or hardware recently that might
have resulted in configuration changes.

Any idea what is going on? Any more info needed to
diagnose the problem?

Karen

Ronnie Vernon MVP

      10th Nov 2003
Karen wrote:
> Got this error message when I booted up this morning.
>
> "...insert a disk into drive\device\Harddisk1\DR1"
>
> I just closed the window and didn't have any problems.
> Then the error message appeared again this evening when I
> opened McAfee. Again, I just closed the error window
> without any ill effects.
>
> This is the first time I've seen the message since I got
> this computer - about three months ago. I haven't
> installed any software or hardware recently that might
> have resulted in configuration changes.
>
> Any idea what is going on? Any more info needed to
> diagnose the problem?

Karen

What was the first part of the message? This should identify the program
that created the error message.

Go to Start/Run and type: eventvwr.msc and press OK. In the Event
Viewer, click on Application in the left window and look for any "X" error
messages that coincide with the time you saw these error messages. Double
click the error to see the details. On the right side of the details dialog
box, there is a small icon that looks like 2 pages of text, click this to
copy the details and paste this back here in a reply to this message.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

AnonnyMoose

      10th Nov 2003
Ronnie,

The message didn't appear this morning when I turned on the computer, and
from what I recall there was no associated program identified in the
messages. I checked the Event Viewer as you instructed below and there are
NO "X" error messages anywhere in the last week! There are a lot of Warnings
though all with similar details to this:

The content index filter for file "%1" generated content data more than %2
times the file's size.

The number varies with each warning. Could this be associated?

Karen

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Karen wrote:
> > Got this error message when I booted up this morning.
> >
> > "...insert a disk into drive\device\Harddisk1\DR1"
> >
> > I just closed the window and didn't have any problems.
> > Then the error message appeared again this evening when I
> > opened McAfee. Again, I just closed the error window
> > without any ill effects.
> >
> > This is the first time I've seen the message since I got
> > this computer - about three months ago. I haven't
> > installed any software or hardware recently that might
> > have resulted in configuration changes.
> >
> > Any idea what is going on? Any more info needed to
> > diagnose the problem?
> >

> Karen
>
> What was the first part of the message? This should identify the program
> that created the error message.
>
> Go to Start/Run and type: eventvwr.msc and press OK. In the Event
> Viewer, click on Application in the left window and look for any "X" error
> messages that coincide with the time you saw these error messages. Double
> click the error to see the details. On the right side of the details

dialog
> box, there is a small icon that looks like 2 pages of text, click this to
> copy the details and paste this back here in a reply to this message.
>
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

      10th Nov 2003
AnonnyMoose wrote:
> Ronnie,
>
> The message didn't appear this morning when I turned on the computer,
> and from what I recall there was no associated program identified in
> the messages. I checked the Event Viewer as you instructed below and
> there are NO "X" error messages anywhere in the last week! There are
> a lot of Warnings though all with similar details to this:
>
> The content index filter for file "%1" generated content data more
> than %2 times the file's size.
>
> The number varies with each warning. Could this be associated?

Karen

This indicates that McAfee may be the culprit. It may have been a simple
burp caused by a recent signature update and may not appear again. Keep an
eye on the Event Viewer for a day or two for any error messages.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP