Error: Event 1202, SceCli, Extended Error

foleylink

      19th Jul 2004
I use Windows 2000 Professional/SP4 on a stand-alone (non-
networked) computer. I log on as Administrator and, for
the last few weeks, my computer takes a long time to boot,
all the while displaying the "applying security policies"
message.

After the boot has completed, I always receive a warning
notice in the application log viewer stating" security
policies are propogated with a warning. 0x4b8 : an
extended error has occurred."

I tried to check the security policies but Windows cannot
open the local policies database, saying that an unknown
error has occurred." Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Steven L Umbach

      19th Jul 2004
Your local secedit.sdb may have been corrupted. There are a couple ways to try and
repair it if you can logon as an administrator. See the links below on how to do
such. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...troubletn.mspx

The security database is corrupted.
Cause: A hardware problem if the computer is improperly shut down or a software
error.

Run esentutl /g to check the integrity of the security database at
%windir%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb.

If the database is corrupt:

1.
Attempt to recover it by running esentutl /r on the %windir%\Security folder. If
this fails, attempt to repair it by running with esentutl /p on
%windir%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb.

2.
After that, delete the log files in %windir%\Security.

"foleylink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2f42201c46d24$fa870760$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use Windows 2000 Professional/SP4 on a stand-alone (non-
> networked) computer. I log on as Administrator and, for
> the last few weeks, my computer takes a long time to boot,
> all the while displaying the "applying security policies"
> message.
>
> After the boot has completed, I always receive a warning
> notice in the application log viewer stating" security
> policies are propogated with a warning. 0x4b8 : an
> extended error has occurred."
>
> I tried to check the security policies but Windows cannot
> open the local policies database, saying that an unknown
> error has occurred." Does anyone know how I can fix this?

foleylink

      19th Jul 2004
I have tried the fixes to the security database but
nothing seems to work. I still get the SceCli message
indicating a 1202 error. And I still cannot access the
info in the database by using Administrative Tools/Local
Security Policy. Any other ideas? Is there a way to re-
create the database?

p/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_scetroubletn.mspx

us;278316

>The security database is corrupted.
>Cause: A hardware problem if the computer is improperly

shut down or a software
>error.
>
>Run esentutl /g to check the integrity of the security

database at
>%windir%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb.
>
>If the database is corrupt:
>
> 1.
> Attempt to recover it by running esentutl /r on the %

windir%\Security folder. If
>this fails, attempt to repair it by running with

esentutl /p on
>%windir%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb.
>
> 2.
> After that, delete the log files in %windir%

\Security.

>"foleylink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in message
>news:2f42201c46d24$fa870760$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I use Windows 2000 Professional/SP4 on a stand-alone

(non-
>> networked) computer. I log on as Administrator and, for
>> the last few weeks, my computer takes a long time to

boot,
>> all the while displaying the "applying security

policies"
>> message.
>>
>> After the boot has completed, I always receive a warning
>> notice in the application log viewer stating" security
>> policies are propogated with a warning. 0x4b8 : an
>> extended error has occurred."
>>
>> I tried to check the security policies but Windows

cannot
>> open the local policies database, saying that an unknown
>> error has occurred." Does anyone know how I can fix

this?

>.

Steven L Umbach

      19th Jul 2004
See if the steps in the link below help on how to create a new secedit.sdb. Also make
sure you are logged on as an administrator and check that system and administrators
have full control permissions to the \winnt\system32\group policy\ folders and to the
\winnt folder as it should by default. --- Steve

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3200/rh3252.htm

"foleylink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2fc8e01c46db3$6148a1a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried the fixes to the security database but
> nothing seems to work. I still get the SceCli message
> indicating a 1202 error. And I still cannot access the
> info in the database by using Administrative Tools/Local
> Security Policy. Any other ideas? Is there a way to re-
> create the database?

foleylink

      20th Jul 2004
Steve,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Using the JCI Faqs that
you directed me to, I was able to resolve the problem.

Mike