erasing harddrive for computer donation

Lori

      17th Jun 2007
How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the internet?
The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected to the
internet.

--
Lori

ByTor

      17th Jun 2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, lneal2
@comporium.net says...

> How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the internet?
> The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected to the
> internet.

You don't have to connect to the internet to erase the disk......Find
the manuf name of your harddrive go their site & seek out their utility
tool to wipe the drive to zeros.

Unknown

      17th Jun 2007
Click on drive and format it.
"Lori " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the
> internet? The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected
> to the internet.
>
> --
> Lori

Shenan Stanley

      17th Jun 2007
Lori wrote:
> How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the
> internet?

What does connecting to the Internet have to do with erasing the hard disk
drive of a computer?
(The Internet does not a computer make...)

> The computer I would like to do this to is no longer
> connected to the internet.

Boot with your Windows XP CD, pretend you are going to install the OS up
until it asks you where you would like to install Windows Xp and choose to
DELETE the partition(s) fromthere... The reboot and remove the CD. In
effect - everything is gone (although a technically savvy user could easily
get that back.)

Better way - use some bootable utility diskette/cd you make on any system to
zero-write several times (14+ would be pretty dang secure) to the hard disk
drive. Each hard disk drive manufacturer has one of these utilities readily
available on their sites (usually a part of their diagnostic utilities) and
there are freeware drive wipers out there (google.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ken Blake, MVP

      17th Jun 2007
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:55:11 -0400, "Lori " <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the internet?
>The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected to the
>internet.

The Internet isn't involved at all. If you want software from the
Internet, download it on another computer and bring it to this one on
a diskette or CD.

Here's my standard post on deleting the contents of the drive:

There are available a number of software products that can overwrite
the data multiple times.This makes the data *much* harder to recover.
But it's not impossible. There are companies that specialize in
sophisticated and expensive data recovery techniques that can often
retrieve overwritten data, even data overwritten multiple times. This
is why the US government destroys drives containing really sensitive
data in a furnace.

For most of us, simply deleting the files, or formatting the drive, is
good enough. If you want to be more paranoid, use one of the
overwriting programs I mentioned above. But realize that, short of
physical destruction, there's no such thing as permanent, perfect
erasure.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Bruce Chambers

      17th Jun 2007
Lori wrote:
> How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the
> internet? The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected
> to the internet.

The same way you'd do if it were connected to the Internet. (In otehr
words, Internet connectivity isn't relevant to the process)

To protect your personal information and data from any future users
of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive.
You can do this using the original Installation CD. Simply boot from
the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the opportunity to delete,
create, and format partitions as part of the installation process. (You
may need to re-arrange the order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to
boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941

If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
data, WipeDrive
(http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive...hard-drive.php) meets U.S.
DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives,
and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
applications.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

JS

      17th Jun 2007
Try this utility (Eraser):
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=37015
Download and then burn it to a CD and then install on the PC you want to
erase files on. Use it to erase as much personal data as you can. Next use
your Windows XP CD to delete any and all partitions, create one small
partition (10GB) and format to re-install Windows (for this purpose no need
to activate/re-register the product), create a second partition using the
remaining space available on the drive.

How to do a Clean Install of Windows XP
From Michael Steven's: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

After re-installing Windows, install Eraser again and use it to wipe all the
free space on the Windows partition and all of the free (un-used) space on
the second partition. Finally once again use the Windows install CD to
delete both partitions.

Note: The more sensitive the data on your PC the more important the above
steps become. As mentioned before only total destruction of the hard drive
is a absolute method.

JS

"Lori " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the
> internet? The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected
> to the internet.
>
> --
> Lori

z1z1z1

      18th Jun 2007
"JS" <@> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Try this utility (Eraser):
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=37015
> Download and then burn it to a CD and then install on the PC you want
> to erase files on. Use it to erase as much personal data as you can.
> Next use your Windows XP CD to delete any and all partitions, create
> one small partition (10GB) and format to re-install Windows (for this
> purpose no need to activate/re-register the product), create a second
> partition using the remaining space available on the drive.
>
> How to do a Clean Install of Windows XP
> From Michael Steven's:
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> After re-installing Windows, install Eraser again and use it to wipe
> all the free space on the Windows partition and all of the free
> (un-used) space on the second partition. Finally once again use the
> Windows install CD to delete both partitions.
>
> Note: The more sensitive the data on your PC the more important the
> above steps become. As mentioned before only total destruction of the
> hard drive is a absolute method.
>
> JS
>
> "Lori " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the
>> internet? The computer I would like to do this to is no longer
>> connected to the internet.
>>
>> --
>> Lori

You can create an Eraser boot disk (floppy/CD?) for wiping entire drives,
which can then be used on the other computer - no need for another
Windows reinstall.
You can download a utility from most hard drive manufacturer's web sites
that can do this (often it is part of a hard drive testing utility).
Most of these consist of a program that you download that then creates a
boot floppy. Inside the test program, this is sometimes called a low
level format (but really isn't), or writing zeroes to the drive. Often
these programs will only work on that manufacturer's drives - note that
some, like Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum are all owned by one company, and the
same program will work on all of these (look for the PowerMax program).
You could also download the Ultimate Boot CD, which includes things like
drive wiping utilities, and many of the above HD test programs.

Site.Suggestion@gmail.com

      18th Jun 2007
On Jun 18, 12:55 am, "Lori " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the internet?
> The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected to the
> internet.
>
> --
> Lori

You don't require internet for erasing the content of the hard dive.
All you have to do is to get the Stellar Wipe - Safe file Eraser.
Stellar Wipe erases selected files and folders, wipes entire
drive, cleans unused space on your hard disk and also removes
Internet activities (History, Cookies, Favorites, Temporary Internet
Files etc), System traces and Application traces (MS applications,
Email & News, Chat messengers, NetMeeting etc) from your computer.
Download the software from: http://www.stellarinfo.com/file-eraser.htm