Epson DX3800 - Life of new cartridges

Nel

      4th Jul 2006
I bought an Epson DX3800 to make more space in my set up. Put in the new
cartridges, did a couple of test prints (just text, no photographs etc.) and
found that the level had dropped already! Now a few weeks later and only a
couple of dozen prints later of sparse text (job sheets for work) I find
that I'm virtually out of black ink!!

Now I've heard before that the original cartridges are not always full, but
to be empty after so few prints???

Is this normal?

TIA

Tony

      6th Jul 2006
"Nel" <nelftm@MY_ISP_world.com> wrote:
>I bought an Epson DX3800 to make more space in my set up. Put in the new
>cartridges, did a couple of test prints (just text, no photographs etc.) and
>found that the level had dropped already! Now a few weeks later and only a
>couple of dozen prints later of sparse text (job sheets for work) I find
>that I'm virtually out of black ink!!
>
>Now I've heard before that the original cartridges are not always full, but
>to be empty after so few prints???
>
>Is this normal?
>
>TIA

I am not aware of Epson supplying "starter" cartridges but this model is
certainly an entry level one and generally they are very ink hungry and have
small cartridges.
Also, when the printer is first turned on during installation it does an
initial charge of the head which uses a lot of ink. You may find some
improvement with the second set of cartridges because they will not have to
suppply the initial charge.
Tony

Arthur Entlich

      6th Jul 2006
The very first cartridges installed use a purging cycle to clear out the
fluid used to protect the heads during shipping and storage, so they
will run out sooner than the others. However, there may be a problem
with your printer, since the use sounds quite poor. Check in your
manual or ads for the unit and information on how many pages it should
print per cartridge.

These printer cartridge yields are usually developed around a 5%
coverage for black and white, which is light text printing.

Art