Entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located...

Bobby C

      18th May 2007
About two months ago, when I would start one particular application (I don't
remember the title), I would get an error:

The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in
the dynamic link library USER32.DLL

Since then it's starting to crop up in other unrelated (from different
vendors) applications. One of the is Setup Factory 7.0 by Indigo Rose,
another is SpeedUpMyPC by Uniblue and another one that I can't remember.
When I click OK, the application runs as it normally does. Does anyone have
an idea what this means?

System info:
Toshiba laptop, P4 3.43 2GB RAM
Windows XP Professional, SP2 with all updates applied

Thanks!

Bobby

Detlev Dreyer

      18th May 2007
"Bobby C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> About two months ago, when I would start one particular application
> (I don't remember the title), I would get an error:
>
> The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be
> located in the dynamic link library USER32.DLL
>
> Since then it's starting to crop up in other unrelated (from different
> vendors) applications.

Even the latest "USER32.DLL" version (5.1.2600.3099) for WinXP does not
have that entry point. Therefore, at least one system file (*not*
USER32.DLL) has been replaced with the Vista version of that system file.
That system file will be hard to find. Analyze your applications causing
this error message (executable files *.exe and *.dll) with the
"Dependency Walker" in order to find the culprit.

The "Dependency Walker" can be found on the WinXP CD, however, download
the latest version from here: http://www.dependencywalker.com

--
d-d

Bobby C

      19th May 2007

"Detlev Dreyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bobby C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> About two months ago, when I would start one particular application
>> (I don't remember the title), I would get an error:
>>
>> The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be
>> located in the dynamic link library USER32.DLL
>>
>> Since then it's starting to crop up in other unrelated (from different
>> vendors) applications.

> Even the latest "USER32.DLL" version (5.1.2600.3099) for WinXP does not
> have that entry point. Therefore, at least one system file (*not*
> USER32.DLL) has been replaced with the Vista version of that system file.
> That system file will be hard to find. Analyze your applications causing
> this error message (executable files *.exe and *.dll) with the
> "Dependency Walker" in order to find the culprit.
>
> The "Dependency Walker" can be found on the WinXP CD, however, download
> the latest version from here: http://www.dependencywalker.com
>
> --
> d-d

Detlev,

Thanks for the information. The problem was caused by the presence of the
file DWMAPI.DLL which was installed with IE7. I reverted to IE6, renamed
the file and the error went away. Thanks for the tip...!

Bobby

Detlev Dreyer

      19th May 2007
"Bobby C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for the information. The problem was caused by the presence of
> the file DWMAPI.DLL which was installed with IE7.

IIRC, "DWMAPI.DLL" is a Vista file not being installed with IE7 under
WinXP by default. That file is *not* present on my WinXP systems while
having IE7 installed as well.

> I reverted to IE6, renamed the file and the error went away.

That's interesting. Was there an IE7 BETA version installed?

> Thanks for the tip...!

You're certainly welcome.

--
d-d

Malke

      19th Jan 2009
Lockon wrote:

> I got the same message when i recently installed MSN 9.0 I don't know
> how i can fix it as i have never used Dependency walker before can
> anyone help?

Unfortunately, no one can help you since you are not posting on a real forum
as you think you are and you didn't quote any of the thread to which you
are replying. You are using a web interface that leeches Usenet posts and
most of the rest of us are using real newsreaders. We don't see what you
do. If you want to participate in Usenet, the better way is to set up a
newsreader. This is very easy to do and I'll give you information about
that below. If you prefer to use a forum, then here are two excellent ones:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
http://http://computerhaven.info/

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting