End process tree & end process

=?Utf-8?B?SmFnamVldA==?=

      22nd Feb 2005
What is the difference in End Process & End process tree,These option are
displayed in the task manager in the process Tab when we right clic any
process.

Also how the priority setting can be helpfull .
Regards

george

      22nd Feb 2005

"Jagjeet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the difference in End Process & End process tree,These option are
> displayed in the task manager in the process Tab when we right clic any
> process.
>
> Also how the priority setting can be helpfull .
> Regards

In Windows one process can potentially 'spawn' (ie. trigger) another process
and another and another.
Go to www.sysinternals.com and download (free) Process Explorer and run it.
You'll see what I mean.
In this scenario a process tree can potentially encompass more than one
process, so you are either ending a single specific Process or potentially
multiple processes at once, when ending a Process tree.

The priority setting can be useful if you want the system 'to pay more
attention' to this particular process, ie. it gets priority when assigning
cpu-cycles by the scheduler to do its job.
Processing priorities range from 0 to 31 (or was it 1-32 :-) ?), with 8
being 'normal'.
All user processes get started with 'normal' priority and the
system-scheduler evaluates 'who's next in line' to get control of the cpu.
Processes with higher priority are thus more frequently served.
Real-time priority (can only be assigned by administrators) sounds cool, but
it also implies that every other process suffers, ie. won't be able to do
much of anything.

hth

george

Gerry Cornell

      22nd Feb 2005
FWIW from Help

To end a process with Task Manager

On the Processes tab, click the process that you want to end, and then
click End Process.
Important

Be careful when ending a process. If you end an application, you will
lose unsaved data. If you end a system service, some part of the system
might not function properly.

Note
To end a process and all processes directly or indirectly created by it,
on the Process tab, right-click the process you want to end, and then
click End Process Tree.

If you end the process tree for an e-mail program such as Microsoft
Outlook, for example, you will also end related processes such as
mapisp32.exe, the MAPI spooler.

If you raise the priority you will get a temporary performance gain but
if you set a level of priority greatly above the default you can
encounter problems. I changed the priority for msimn.exe ( Outlook
Express ) from the default Normal to Above Normal and it was OK.
Changing it again to High brought problems.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
FCA