enableDCOM - Yes or No

Paul

      15th Sep 2006
We had a virus sweep through the other day - and although we eventually
stopped it and now it is fixed - I am sure it changed this registry key on
this Windows 2000 Server

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ole
enableDCOM = N

Is it safe to assume that Y is the way it should be and I can change it ?

Note it has been running with the N for 2 days now and nothing in the even
logs and no complaints from users.

Dave Patrick

      17th Sep 2006
Y here on Windows XP. This article may also help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de..._practicom.asp

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Paul" wrote:
| We had a virus sweep through the other day - and although we eventually
| stopped it and now it is fixed - I am sure it changed this registry key on
| this Windows 2000 Server
|
| HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ole
| enableDCOM = N
|
| Is it safe to assume that Y is the way it should be and I can change it ?
|
| Note it has been running with the N for 2 days now and nothing in the even
| logs and no complaints from users.

Steve

      17th Sep 2006

Paul wrote:
> We had a virus sweep through the other day - and although we eventually
> stopped it and now it is fixed - I am sure it changed this registry key on
> this Windows 2000 Server
>
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ole
> enableDCOM = N
>
> Is it safe to assume that Y is the way it should be and I can change it ?
>
> Note it has been running with the N for 2 days now and nothing in the even
> logs and no complaints from users.

I want it set to "N" on every machine.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm

and the rest of the website as well. This guy has the best explanations
I've yet seen of security issues, without all the smoke and mirrors
promulgated by the vendors of "protection" software. I've been
following his advice for some time now, and have had zero problems with
it. Can't say the same for any AV, firewall, etc. software I've used.

I have no connection with grc.com other than as a highly satisfied
viewer / user.

Steve Hendrix

David H. Lipman

      17th Sep 2006
From: "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Paul wrote:
>> We had a virus sweep through the other day - and although we eventually
>> stopped it and now it is fixed - I am sure it changed this registry key on
>> this Windows 2000 Server
>>
>> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ole
>> enableDCOM = N
>>
>> Is it safe to assume that Y is the way it should be and I can change it ?
>>
>> Note it has been running with the N for 2 days now and nothing in the even
>> logs and no complaints from users.

| I want it set to "N" on every machine.
|
| Have a look at this link:
|
| http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm
|
| and the rest of the website as well. This guy has the best explanations
| I've yet seen of security issues, without all the smoke and mirrors
| promulgated by the vendors of "protection" software. I've been
| following his advice for some time now, and have had zero problems with
| it. Can't say the same for any AV, firewall, etc. software I've used.
|
| I have no connection with grc.com other than as a highly satisfied
| viewer / user.
|
| Steve Hendrix

Don't listen to the Scare Monger at GRC.Com !

It is NOT an authorative site on security.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm