Enable TLS through the Registry

anthonypetito@gmail.com

      24th Oct 2005
I am trying to enable TLS for our organisation as they need access to a
website that is explicitly using TLS on its website. The problem is
that I cannot enable TLS 1.0 through Group Policy like many other items
in IE. Is there a way to enable TLS by editing a registry key? If so,
where is that key located? Thank you.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      25th Oct 2005
See if this note here helps:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/mic...f0c3cb7fb35529

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to enable TLS for our organisation as they need access to a
> website that is explicitly using TLS on its website. The problem is
> that I cannot enable TLS 1.0 through Group Policy like many other items
> in IE. Is there a way to enable TLS by editing a registry key? If so,
> where is that key located? Thank you.

Tony

      25th Oct 2005
Thank you Ramesh.. Exactly what I was looking for.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      25th Oct 2005
You're welcome Tony. Keep us posted.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

> Thank you Ramesh.. Exactly what I was looking for.

Tony

      26th Oct 2005
For anyone interested, I wrote an ADM so that it can be applied through
Group Policy.

; Administrative Template
; Adding and enabling this template will allow you to change
; the registry value for IE Secure Protocols found in the
; Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security window.

CLASS USER
CATEGORY !!categoryname
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
POLICY !!policyname
EXPLAIN !!explaintext
PART !!labeltext DROPDOWNLIST REQUIRED
VALUENAME "SecureProtocols"
ITEMLIST
NAME !!enableSSLTLS VALUE NUMERIC 168 DEFAULT
NAME !!enableAll VALUE NUMERIC 170
NAME !!enableSSL VALUE NUMERIC 40
END ITEMLIST
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY

[strings]
categoryname="IE Secure Protocols"
policyname="Setup IE Secure Protocols"
explaintext="This policy sets up IE Secure Protcols"
labeltext="Set IE Secure Protcols"
enableAll="Enable All Secure Protocols"
enableSSLTLS="Enable SSL 2.0 and 3.0"
enableSSL="Enable only SSL"

; END TEMPLATE
---------------------------------------

New Member

      7th Jun 2011
I know this thread is quite old, but I thought I'd update it with my work, so those out there that want to implement this, can. It utilizes the latest registry entries for the security protocols within Internet Explorer 6.0 and later. It's been cleaned up a bit and has been written to be utilized under a certain directory once added as an admin template. To get to this policy setting within the group policy you've added it to, go to "User Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Internet Explorer" > "Internet Control Panel" > "Advanced Page". The policy setting's labelled as "Setup Internet Explorer Security Protocols" and includes a drop down list to work with. I have this policy setting defaulted to SSL v3.0 and TLS v1.0, once it's enabled. You'll have to un-check "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed." before viewing this policy setting. To un-check the afore-mentioned option, just go to the console's menu at the top, then go to "View" > "Filtering...". You should see this option at the very bottom checked. Just un-check it, click "OK" then navigate where you need to be, to change this policy setting. Have fun!

;----------------------------------------
; Administrative Template
; Adding and enabling this template will allow you to change
; the registry value for IE Security Protocols found in the
; Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security window.
;
; This template has been modified from the original post online.
; Its been updated with the correct decimal values to ensure the
; proper settings are enabled when applied.
; All decimal values were tested manually to ensure accuracy.
; The option to enable PCT v1.0 has been removed to support at least IE v6.0,
; if anyone actually uses this browser version anymore.
; Original post found on forum at Enable TLS through the Registry

CLASS USER
CATEGORY !!catname1
CATEGORY !!catname2
CATEGORY !!catname3
CATEGORY !!catname4
POLICY !!policyname
#if version >= 4
SUPPORTED !!supported_ie6
EXPLAIN !!explaintext
#endif
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
PART !!labeltext DROPDOWNLIST
VALUENAME "SecureProtocols"
ITEMLIST
NAME !!enableAll VALUE NUMERIC 168
NAME !!enableSSL2 VALUE NUMERIC 8
NAME !!enableSSL3 VALUE NUMERIC 32
NAME !!enableTLS VALUE NUMERIC 128
NAME !!enableSSL2n3 VALUE NUMERIC 40
NAME !!enableSSL2nTLS VALUE NUMERIC 136
NAME !!enableSSL3nTLS VALUE NUMERIC 160 DEFAULT
NAME !!disableAll VALUE NUMERIC 0
END ITEMLIST
REQUIRED
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY
END CATEGORY
END CATEGORY
END CATEGORY

[strings]
catname1 = "Windows Components"
catname2 = "Internet Explorer"
catname3 = "Internet Control Panel"
catname4 = "Advanced Page"
policyname = "Setup Internet Explorer Security Protocols"
supported_ie6 = "At least Internet Explorer 6"
explaintext = "This policy sets up Internet Explorer Security Protocols: SSL v2.0, SSL v3.0 & TLS v1.0. These settings can be applied to machines running Internet Explorer v6.0 or later."
labeltext = "Set IE Security Protocols"
enableAll = "Enable All"
enableSSL2 = "Enable SSL v2.0"
enableSSL3 = "Enable SSL v3.0"
enableTLS = "Enable TLS v1.0"
enableSSL2n3 = "Enable SSL v2.0 & 3.0"
enableSSL2nTLS = "Enable SSL v2.0 & TLS v1.0"
enableSSL3nTLS = "Enable SSL v3.0 & TLS v1.0"
disableAll = "Disable All (not recommended)"

; END TEMPLATE