Enable remote desktop via GPO

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?=

      30th Mar 2004
I want to active remote desktop option on our WinXP
clients.
I want to enable the following GPO on our DC server in
WIN 2000:
GPO-> Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates-
>Windows Components->Terminal Services->Allow users to

connect remotely using Terminal Services -"Enable"
I can not find this policy in the list.
Could you explain me? How I can add it in the list on a
Win2000 server?
BR.
François

David Everett [MSFT]

      30th Mar 2004
You can edit the GPO from a Windows XP machine and the System.adm file from
the %systemroot%\inf folder on the client machine will get imported into the
domain GPO. Once this happens you can edit the policy setting from the XP
machine.

307900 Upgrading Windows 2000 Group Policy for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307900

NOTE: If you edit this policy afterwards from a Windows 2000 machine it
will import the Windows 2000 version of system.adm back into the policy.

It would be best to make an XP specific policy and edit this policy only
from XP machines. Alternatively, you could copy the
%SystemRoot%\inf\system.adm file from the XP machine to the %Systemroot%\inf
folder on all the DCs.
--
David Everett
Microsoft Corporation

"François" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1597101c4166c$897e2080$(E-Mail Removed)...
I want to active remote desktop option on our WinXP
clients.
I want to enable the following GPO on our DC server in
WIN 2000:
GPO-> Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates-
>Windows Components->Terminal Services->Allow users to

connect remotely using Terminal Services -"Enable"
I can not find this policy in the list.
Could you explain me? How I can add it in the list on a
Win2000 server?
BR.
François

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?=

      31st Mar 2004
Hello,
Thank you for your answer,
But I can not find this GPO (Allow users to
>connect remotely using Terminal Services)on my win XP

client machine.
Do I have to install something more? So I can make it
availlable.
BR.
François

confers no rights.

>"François" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in message
>news:1597101c4166c$897e2080$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to active remote desktop option on our WinXP
>clients.
>I want to enable the following GPO on our DC server in
>WIN 2000:
>GPO-> Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates-
>>Windows Components->Terminal Services->Allow users to

>connect remotely using Terminal Services -"Enable"
>I can not find this policy in the list.
>Could you explain me? How I can add it in the list on a
>Win2000 server?
>BR.
>François
>

>.

David Everett [MSFT]

      1st Apr 2004
That's what I get for being at SP2 RC1.

The System.adm in SP1 for Windows XP does not have this setting.

You can call the support line and request the hotfix below. The System.adm
file in this hotfix has the "Allow users to connect remotely using Terminal
Services" setting in it. After you have installed the hotfix on your XP
workstation you can edit the policy. If the new setting does not show up
automatically in the policy you may have to import the system.adm file into
the GPO again.

831787 ?Prevent Access to Registry Editing Tools? policy changes in
Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831787
--
David Everett
Microsoft Corporation

"François" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1618b01c41704$55e92fb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello,
Thank you for your answer,
But I can not find this GPO (Allow users to
>connect remotely using Terminal Services)on my win XP

client machine.
Do I have to install something more? So I can make it
availlable.
BR.
François

confers no rights.

>"François" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in message
>news:1597101c4166c$897e2080$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to active remote desktop option on our WinXP
>clients.
>I want to enable the following GPO on our DC server in
>WIN 2000:
>GPO-> Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates-
>>Windows Components->Terminal Services->Allow users to

>connect remotely using Terminal Services -"Enable"
>I can not find this policy in the list.
>Could you explain me? How I can add it in the list on a
>Win2000 server?
>BR.
>François
>

>.

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

      1st Apr 2004
Isn't there a copy of the system.adm for Windows 2K3 server available
anywhere? I remember downloading one at one point in time to upgrade
GP's to deal with Win2K3 and Windows XP.

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com