email lost when using Out Of Office Assistant

Amedee Van Gasse

      29th Jul 2008
Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2003.

One of our users used the rules in the Out Of Office Assistant to move
all email with a certain condition to a folder. I don't remember what
the condition was, perhaps something with sender or subject, but that
is not important.

The important thing was that he made a rule to move those emails to a
folder inside a PST file. He wanted to avoid that he went over quota
on Exchange while on holiday.

The result when he came back: in his pst-file he saw the list of
emails, but he couldn't open any of them. He got a message (in Dutch,
roughly translated back to Engrish): "Can not open the item. This
action will be supported when the entire message is downloaded.
Download the message and try again."
When moving such mail to the Exchange Inbox, Outlook says that the
mail may have been deleted from the server, and the message disappears
without a trace, not even in deleted items.

I'm quite sure that he got this problem because he used a rule that
referenced a PST file, making it a client-side rule. In case of
regular Rules&Alerts, it really doesn't matter much if a rule is
client-side or server side, but in case of the OOOA, I think it does.
It is my theory that Exchange thought it had moved the mail off the
server (so it deletes the mail body) but it only registers the mail
metadata (subject, size,... the things you see in the emails list) in
the PST file. It couldn't actually move to PST because the Exchange
server doesn't know where to find the PST file.

I'm 99% sure that this is the cause of the problem, but I would like
to find some "official" confirmation; a KB article from Microsoft
would be best. I have searched but didn't find anything useful yet,
only general descriptions of how the OOOA works.
This is because I need to document the incident and inform our users
that they shouldn't use PST files in rules. (They shouldn't use PST
files *period*, but that's not up to me)

Kind regards,

Amedee

Ed Crowley [MVP]

      30th Jul 2008
I've never heard of that. Is DumpsterAlwaysOn set on the Outlook client?
If not, try setting that and seeing if you can recover the deleted items
from the Inbox.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

"Amedee Van Gasse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2003.
>
> One of our users used the rules in the Out Of Office Assistant to move
> all email with a certain condition to a folder. I don't remember what
> the condition was, perhaps something with sender or subject, but that
> is not important.
>
> The important thing was that he made a rule to move those emails to a
> folder inside a PST file. He wanted to avoid that he went over quota
> on Exchange while on holiday.
>
> The result when he came back: in his pst-file he saw the list of
> emails, but he couldn't open any of them. He got a message (in Dutch,
> roughly translated back to Engrish): "Can not open the item. This
> action will be supported when the entire message is downloaded.
> Download the message and try again."
> When moving such mail to the Exchange Inbox, Outlook says that the
> mail may have been deleted from the server, and the message disappears
> without a trace, not even in deleted items.
>

> I'm quite sure that he got this problem because he used a rule that
> referenced a PST file, making it a client-side rule. In case of
> regular Rules&Alerts, it really doesn't matter much if a rule is
> client-side or server side, but in case of the OOOA, I think it does.
> It is my theory that Exchange thought it had moved the mail off the
> server (so it deletes the mail body) but it only registers the mail
> metadata (subject, size,... the things you see in the emails list) in
> the PST file. It couldn't actually move to PST because the Exchange
> server doesn't know where to find the PST file.
>

> I'm 99% sure that this is the cause of the problem, but I would like
> to find some "official" confirmation; a KB article from Microsoft
> would be best. I have searched but didn't find anything useful yet,
> only general descriptions of how the OOOA works.
> This is because I need to document the incident and inform our users
> that they shouldn't use PST files in rules. (They shouldn't use PST
> files *period*, but that's not up to me)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Amedee

Amedee Van Gasse

      30th Jul 2008
On 30 jul, 01:53, "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've never heard of that. *Is DumpsterAlwaysOn set on the Outlook client?
> If not, try setting that and seeing if you can recover the deleted items
> from the Inbox.

What is DumpsterAlwaysOn ?
I have used Outlook myself and supported others since november '99,
and I have never heard about that.
According to Google, it is a registry key that enables Recover Deleted
Items in the Tools menu, is that correct?
We have that enabled.
But it's only good for emails deleted the last 7 days and the user was
on holiday for 2 weeks.
Anyway I have already closed the incident after talking to the user,
and I have updated our FAQ, telling people NOT to use rules in the Out
Of Office Assistant to move emails to their PST file.

--
Amedee