email address as username

=?Utf-8?B?YWRtaW4gYXQganVzdHdyb25nIGRvdCBjb20=?=

      4th Oct 2006
i own a domain and have it hosted on the mail server at an isp. in order to
check my mail, i have to use the entire email address as the password. this
worked in OE, but is not working in WM. by the error(below) i think it is
trimming the username to not include the @ or anything after it.

i have another email address that is like (E-Mail Removed) and it check fine, so
i know the mail server settings are correct. but when i try and check the
(E-Mail Removed) it keeps asking for the user name and password again. does
anyone have a solution, or at least verification that theirs works with email
address for username?

Account: 'justwrong', Server: 'mail.wmol.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR me logon failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Jim Pickering

      5th Oct 2006
Have you tried telnet to the mail server to ensure that the username and
password are correct and you can connect using that program?

If you are using Exchange, see this KB article for some possible tips:
The error 0x800CCC92 or error 0x800CCCD2 occurs when you try to retrieve a
message from a POP3 server:

Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6
Please deliver feedback to the newsgroup, so that others can be helped.

"admin at justwrong dot com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i own a domain and have it hosted on the mail server at an isp. in order
> check my mail, i have to use the entire email address as the password.
> this
> worked in OE, but is not working in WM. by the error(below) i think it is
> trimming the username to not include the @ or anything after it.
>
> i have another email address that is like (E-Mail Removed) and it check fine,
> so
> i know the mail server settings are correct. but when i try and check the
> (E-Mail Removed) it keeps asking for the user name and password again.
> does
> anyone have a solution, or at least verification that theirs works with
> email
> address for username?
>
> Account: 'justwrong', Server: 'mail.wmol.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
> Response: '-ERR me logon failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server
> Error:
> 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

=?Utf-8?B?YWRtaW4gYXQganVzdHdyb25nIGRvdCBjb20=?=

      11th Oct 2006
i only have this problem in Windows Mail on vista. i can check it fine with
Outlook Express on XP. also, i have another account at the same mail server,
that does not require the entire address as username, and i can check that
one with both versions. i have not tried to telnet to the mail server, don't
know how, but i can log into the web interface, so i know the UID/PW are
correct.

"Jim Pickering" wrote:

> Have you tried telnet to the mail server to ensure that the username and
> password are correct and you can connect using that program?
>
> If you are using Exchange, see this KB article for some possible tips:
> The error 0x800CCC92 or error 0x800CCCD2 occurs when you try to retrieve a
> message from a POP3 server:

> Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6
> Please deliver feedback to the newsgroup, so that others can be helped.
>

> "admin at justwrong dot com"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i own a domain and have it hosted on the mail server at an isp. in order
> > check my mail, i have to use the entire email address as the password.
> > this
> > worked in OE, but is not working in WM. by the error(below) i think it is
> > trimming the username to not include the @ or anything after it.
> >
> > i have another email address that is like (E-Mail Removed) and it check fine,
> > so
> > i know the mail server settings are correct. but when i try and check the
> > (E-Mail Removed) it keeps asking for the user name and password again.
> > does
> > anyone have a solution, or at least verification that theirs works with
> > email
> > address for username?
> >
> > Account: 'justwrong', Server: 'mail.wmol.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
> > Response: '-ERR me logon failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server
> > Error:
> > 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Jim Pickering

      11th Oct 2006
If the account works correctly in Outlook Express,switch to Outlook Express
on the machine involved, open Tools/Accounts - Mail tab and export the
settings for the account as an IAF file to some portable media (floppy, USB
thumbdrive, etc.), then switch to Vista, open Windows Mail and click
Tools/Accounts and delete the existing account you are having a problem
with, then use the Import option to import the settings from the IAF file.
Then test it and see if it works correctly.

For help with telnet if you'd like to try it, see the info at this link:

First you need to add the telnet client to Vista:

To add the Telnet client in Windows Vista, do the following.

Click Start/Run (or WinKey+r) and type:
start /w pkgmgr /iu:"TelnetClient"

The telnet client will then be available from the command line.

Second:

You can find added Telnet instructions at:
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_san...pop3telnet.htm

Go to start/run and type the following:
telnet {pop3 server name} 110 - hit enter, don't type the brackets.
user {your username} - hit enter
pass {your password} - hit enter

There are various commands available:

list (will return all messages)
retr (whatever number will retrieve that message)
dele (+ number will delete that number message)
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Windows Mail Apps