Easy Way to Input Data?

Toan Chau

      20th Jan 2004
Hi All,

Here are some details about my database...

*Table 2*
User ID
Date
Data 1
Data 2
Data 3
Data 4

*Table 1*
User F. Name
User L. Name
User ID
Date of Hire

The primary key for *Table 1* is User ID. It is linked to
*Table 2*'s User ID.

There is only one individual User ID in *Table 1* for each
user. But there are multiple instances of the same User
ID in *Table 2*.

I have the two tables linked such that if I deleted a User
ID from *Table 1* it will delete all instances of the same
User ID in *Table 2*

Thanks for listening thus far...now my issue is this...

I would like to make a form to enter data into *Table 2*
each day. I would fill in the UserID column, Date, Data
1, Data 2, Data 3, and Data 4.

How can I make it such that I would not have to retype the
UserID or the date for each user that I have? Because
currently for day one I would have to input the user name,
the date and then the data set and do that all over again
for day 2. Is there a better way to go about this?

Does any know a good solution to this? Or lead me in the
right direction? Is my table design incorrect? Is my
linking the two tables correct?

A thousand thanks in advance,
-Toan

Nikos Yannacopoulos

      21st Jan 2004
Toan,

Your table design looks reasonable. Now, to cutting down on data entry:
there are several things you can do, it depends on how you work. For
instance:
?s far as date entry goes:
If you systematically enter data every day for the same day, you could set
the default value to =Date().
If you systematically enter data every day for the last working day, you
could use some simple code to calculate that (e.g. leave out Saturdays and
Sundays) and default it.
If you do it periodically but not daily, and run through all Users for each
day, then move to the next day etc., you could use a DMax expression to
default the last date entered, so you only have to change it when starting a
new date.

On the UserID:
You could use a listbox or combo box on your form to click-select rather
than type in. You could even use some code to auto advance to the next
UserID on every new record (in this case you should make this a data antry
form, so you can't go back to existing records and jam them).

HTH,
Nikos

news:175701c3dfa2$b2a88370$(E-Mail Removed)...