Easy to clean scanner

NSN

      12th Oct 2007
I have had several scanners in the past, both Canon and Epson. They
all seem to arrive with some dust under the glass. Cleaning the
underside of the glass has been impossible. I am now looking for a
top of the line flatbed scanner, either Epson or Canon. However, if
necessary, I want to be able to get at the underside of the
glass...easily. Does such an animal exist?

Norm

Silicon Sam

      12th Oct 2007
On Oct 12, 8:57 am, NSN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have had several scanners in the past, both Canon and Epson. They
> all seem to arrive with some dust under the glass. Cleaning the
> underside of the glass has been impossible. I am now looking for a
> top of the line flatbed scanner, either Epson or Canon. However, if
> necessary, I want to be able to get at the underside of the
> glass...easily. Does such an animal exist?
>
> Norm

On my Epson 3170, all I do is remove the 2 screws in the back, lift
the back up, move forward and the top comes off. Clean underside of
glass, replace cover. Guess you could leave the 2 screws out if you
are real lazy, but seriously, it's no big deal.

Can't get any easier than that. Most scanners are easy, once you
know how to take the top off.

Mike Fox

      13th Oct 2007
For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:31:27 -0700, Silicon Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Oct 12, 8:57 am, NSN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have had several scanners in the past, both Canon and Epson. They
>> all seem to arrive with some dust under the glass. Cleaning the
>> underside of the glass has been impossible. I am now looking for a
>> top of the line flatbed scanner, either Epson or Canon. However, if
>> necessary, I want to be able to get at the underside of the
>> glass...easily. Does such an animal exist?
>>
>> Norm

> On my Epson 3170, all I do is remove the 2 screws in the back, lift
>the back up, move forward and the top comes off. Clean underside of
>glass, replace cover. Guess you could leave the 2 screws out if you
>are real lazy, but seriously, it's no big deal.
>
> Can't get any easier than that. Most scanners are easy, once you
>know how to take the top off.

isw

      13th Oct 2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
> how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

I'd be surprised if that's really true -- how do they refurbish ones
that fail final QA at the factory? I'm sure they don't just throw them
away. More likely they just don't want you to say "I followed their
instructions, and now it's broken".

My Microtek s400 comes apart after removing a few screws, but you have
to "pop" a couple of plastic latches -- a little stressful the first
time.

Isaac

Talker

      13th Oct 2007
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:49:05 -0700, isw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mike Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
>> how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

>I'd be surprised if that's really true -- how do they refurbish ones
>that fail final QA at the factory? I'm sure they don't just throw them
>away. More likely they just don't want you to say "I followed their
>instructions, and now it's broken".
>
>My Microtek s400 comes apart after removing a few screws, but you have
>to "pop" a couple of plastic latches -- a little stressful the first
>time.
>
>Isaac

Yes, I had a MicroTek that opened the same way. You had to remove
the two screws that were located in the holes where the lid fits into.
Once you rtemoved those, you had to use a small screwdriver to gentle
pop open the plastic latches on the sides. Once you've done it, it's
no big deal, it's just doing it the first time that was a little
unnerving.<g>
I switched from MicroTeks to a Canon because of a continuing
problem with my MicroTek. The Canon just has the two screws in the
lid's rear mounting holes, and once you've removed those, you just
lift the back of the top up and slide it off.
The manufacturers don't want you to now how to remove the tops,
they want you to go to a repair facility and spend $100 to have the
glass cleaned. I've always wondered why they don't included things
like "Ease of glass cleaning" when magazines do writeups on scanners.
If they used things like that in the writeups, manufacturers would see
their sales fluctuate, depending on how "repair friendly" their
products were.

Talker

Mike Fox

      14th Oct 2007
I wish you were right. I've got the Scanmaker 4900, but there's not a
screw head or plastic latch in sight anywhere--even pried the rubber
feet off looking. There's a couple pin sized holes through which a
special tool might be inserted, but that's it.

Mike

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:49:05 -0700, isw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mike Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
>> how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

>I'd be surprised if that's really true -- how do they refurbish ones
>that fail final QA at the factory? I'm sure they don't just throw them
>away. More likely they just don't want you to say "I followed their
>instructions, and now it's broken".
>
>My Microtek s400 comes apart after removing a few screws, but you have
>to "pop" a couple of plastic latches -- a little stressful the first
>time.
>
>Isaac

wtrplnet

      19th Oct 2007
"Mike Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wish you were right. I've got the Scanmaker 4900, but there's not a
> screw head or plastic latch in sight anywhere--even pried the rubber
> feet off looking. There's a couple pin sized holes through which a
> special tool might be inserted, but that's it.
>
> Mike
>
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:49:05 -0700, isw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Mike Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
>>> how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

>>I'd be surprised if that's really true -- how do they refurbish ones
>>that fail final QA at the factory? I'm sure they don't just throw them
>>away. More likely they just don't want you to say "I followed their
>>instructions, and now it's broken".
>>
>>My Microtek s400 comes apart after removing a few screws, but you have
>>to "pop" a couple of plastic latches -- a little stressful the first
>>time.
>>
>>Isaac

Cleaned my Epson 3490 glass yesterday. Despite 'no user serviceable' parts
warnings, the top came off easily. Removed two screws in the back, gently
popped four molded 'clips' on the side, came off without even any wiring to
remove. Of course they don't want you messing around inside it, warranty
hell for them. Anything that isn't glued together will come apart, you just
have to figure out how.

Alan

Mike Fox

      20th Oct 2007
You are welcome to come over to my place and show me how.

Mike
San Antonio

>Cleaned my Epson 3490 glass yesterday. Despite 'no user serviceable' parts
>warnings, the top came off easily. Removed two screws in the back, gently
>popped four molded 'clips' on the side, came off without even any wiring to
>remove. Of course they don't want you messing around inside it, warranty
>hell for them. Anything that isn't glued together will come apart, you just
>have to figure out how.
>
>Alan

wtrplnet

      21st Oct 2007
"Mike Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are welcome to come over to my place and show me how.
>
> Mike
> San Antonio
>>
>>Cleaned my Epson 3490 glass yesterday. Despite 'no user serviceable'
>>parts
>>warnings, the top came off easily. Removed two screws in the back, gently
>>popped four molded 'clips' on the side, came off without even any wiring
>>remove. Of course they don't want you messing around inside it, warranty
>>hell for them. Anything that isn't glued together will come apart, you
>>just
>>have to figure out how.
>>
>>Alan

Not sure about your Microtech. I looked at the Epson a couple of times
before I comitted to opening it. I thought they had actually found a way to
make it un-openable. I guess after seeing one on Ebay for $25 barely used I
decided it was worth the risk. I like the scanner a lot and didn't want to
take a chance of wrecking it. Maybe you can find a junk one to experiment
on.

Alan

Talker

      28th Oct 2007
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 05:00:08 -0500, Mike Fox <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I wish you were right. I've got the Scanmaker 4900, but there's not a
>screw head or plastic latch in sight anywhere--even pried the rubber
>feet off looking. There's a couple pin sized holes through which a
>special tool might be inserted, but that's it.
>
>Mike

Mike, try this.....when you raise the lid up, the back of the lid
where it connects to the scanner, can you lift it straight up off the
scanner? If so, raise it up. Now, look into the holes that it came
out of. Do you see any screws in there? If so, unscrew them.
Now, looking through the scanner's glass into the inside of the
scanner, you should see two or three "ribs" on each side of the
scanner. Take a very small screwdriver and place it in the seam on
the outside of the scanner where you see one of those ribs. The seam
is kinda tight, so you might need to wiggle the screwdriver to get it
to go into the seam. Now twist the screwdrive to see if you can pop
open the plastic catches. You need to do this at each rib. If it
doesn't feel like it will pop open, then it might be glued shut and
can't be opened.
I used a small pocket screwdriver to open the seam a bit, then
with the small screwdriver stuck in the seam, I was able to get a
larger screwdriver to fit in the seam. Then I could twist the larger
screwdriver and pop it open.

Talker