E-mails are not being delivered to hotmail accounts

Leandro Segura

      25th Jan 2010

Hello, My name is Leandro Segura and i work at Lincoln, The international
School of Buenos Aires. We are having this problem for the last two or three
weeks. E-mails are not being delivered, but they move out of our server, and
no bounce back messages come back. i'm sure hotmail is blocking my domain
(@lincoln.edu.ar) but i can't understand why, we are a school and we need to
e-mail parents with hotmails accounts.
Please help!!!

VanguardLH

      26th Jan 2010
Leandro Segura wrote:

> E-mails are not being delivered, but they move out of our server, and
> no bounce back messages come back. i'm sure hotmail is blocking my domain
> (@lincoln.edu.ar) but i can't understand why, we are a school and we need to
> e-mail parents with hotmails accounts.

We can do nothing about what Microsoft does regarding the management of
their mail service. We are users here just like you.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

If your mail server or domain was blacklisted at Hotmail, you would get back
an NDR (non-delivery report) e-mail stating that your e-mail was rejected.
The typical NDR that you get back says:

550 SC-004 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. A
block has been placed against your IP address because we have received
complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. If you are not an
email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider
for help. Email/network admins, we recommend enrolling in our Junk E-Mail
Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove
unwanted recipients from their e-mail list: http://postmaster.live.com

It is then up to whomever is your e-mail provider to work with Microsoft to
get off of Hotmail's blacklist. Sometimes Microsoft realizes they screwed
up their filtering and will fix it on their own. However, as the user, all
you can do is wait until Hotmail is longer blocking your mail server (or
until your e-mail provider is no longer a major spam source).

You will have to contact your own e-mail provider to tell them about the
problem. Only they can coordinate with Hotmail regarding any filtering of
e-mails coming from their domain. You might also contact your own mail
administrator or IT folks to inquire how [in]effective is their outbound
spam filtering.

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase...lincoln.edu.ar

The volume of e-mails from your domain is huge (equivalent to many
university campuses). http://www.lincoln.edu.ar/about/index.html lists some
stats about your school. If the enrollment count is accurate (at just 884
students), your tiny school is generating a hell of a lot of e-mail traffic.