      12th Aug 2009
Seems even M'soft does not have a fix! They only talk of 'work-arounds'
I had to alter Registry to make computer recognise DVD drive as writable -
recommended by Msoft.
It will not recognise when a blank disc is inserted - 'please insert
writeable disk into Drive D' is all I get!
All this problem seemed to start with the installation of SP3!
Anyone know the answer - please!

Andrew E.

      13th Aug 2009
DVDRW,rom,cdrw,cdroms,most all have a firmware update from its
mfg web site,try updating youre hardware.

"D" wrote:

> Seems even M'soft does not have a fix! They only talk of 'work-arounds'
> I had to alter Registry to make computer recognise DVD drive as writable -
> recommended by Msoft.
> It will not recognise when a blank disc is inserted - 'please insert
> writeable disk into Drive D' is all I get!
> All this problem seemed to start with the installation of SP3!
> Anyone know the answer - please!

      15th Aug 2009
Thanks - but have already tried that with no luck!
"Andrew E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DVDRW,rom,cdrw,cdroms,most all have a firmware update from its
> mfg web site,try updating youre hardware.
>
> "D" wrote:
>
>> Seems even M'soft does not have a fix! They only talk of 'work-arounds'
>> I had to alter Registry to make computer recognise DVD drive as
>> writable -
>> recommended by Msoft.
>> It will not recognise when a blank disc is inserted - 'please insert
>> writeable disk into Drive D' is all I get!
>> All this problem seemed to start with the installation of SP3!
>> Anyone know the answer - please!

TaurArian

      15th Aug 2009
D wrote:
:: Seems even M'soft does not have a fix! They only talk of
:: 'work-arounds' I had to alter Registry to make computer recognise
:: DVD drive as writable - recommended by Msoft.
:: It will not recognise when a blank disc is inserted - 'please insert
:: writeable disk into Drive D' is all I get!
:: All this problem seemed to start with the installation of SP3!
:: Anyone know the answer - please!

Go to Control Panel - Admin Tools – Services
or click Start, Run and type : services.msc

Make sure that IMAPI CD Burning is Started.
If not, double click it, set Startup type to Manual, Apply.Exit and reboot.

Now in My Computer, right-click the drive, Properties, Recording Page and
make sure 'Enable recording' is checked and If the check mark to enable
recording is checked, uncheck it and hit apply and then recheck it and hit
apply.

If that doesn’t work see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529
CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

      16th Aug 2009
Thanks taurarian - I can now write to CD for the first time in months!
I am at a loss to know why IMAPI CD Burning was disabled - I certainly did
not disable it - at least, not intentionally!

"TaurArian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>D wrote:
> :: Seems even M'soft does not have a fix! They only talk of
> :: 'work-arounds' I had to alter Registry to make computer recognise
> :: DVD drive as writable - recommended by Msoft.
> :: It will not recognise when a blank disc is inserted - 'please insert
> :: writeable disk into Drive D' is all I get!
> :: All this problem seemed to start with the installation of SP3!
> :: Anyone know the answer - please!
>

> Go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services
> or click Start, Run and type : services.msc
>
> Make sure that IMAPI CD Burning is Started.
> If not, double click it, set Startup type to Manual, Apply.Exit and
> reboot.
>
> Now in My Computer, right-click the drive, Properties, Recording Page and
> make sure 'Enable recording' is checked and If the check mark to enable
> recording is checked, uncheck it and hit apply and then recheck it and hit
> apply.
>
> If that doesn't work see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529
> CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device.
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

TaurArian

      16th Aug 2009
Pleased the problem is now fixed.

D wrote:
:: Thanks taurarian - I can now write to CD for the first time in
:: months!
:: I am at a loss to know why IMAPI CD Burning was disabled - I
:: certainly did not disable it - at least, not intentionally!
::
::: D wrote:
::::: Seems even M'soft does not have a fix! They only talk of
::::: 'work-arounds' I had to alter Registry to make computer recognise
::::: DVD drive as writable - recommended by Msoft.
::::: It will not recognise when a blank disc is inserted - 'please
::::: insert writeable disk into Drive D' is all I get!
::::: All this problem seemed to start with the installation of SP3!
::::: Anyone know the answer - please!
:::
:::
:::
::: Go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services
::: or click Start, Run and type : services.msc
:::
::: Make sure that IMAPI CD Burning is Started.
::: If not, double click it, set Startup type to Manual, Apply.Exit and
::: reboot.
:::
::: Now in My Computer, right-click the drive, Properties, Recording
::: Page and make sure 'Enable recording' is checked and If the check
::: mark to enable recording is checked, uncheck it and hit apply and
::: then recheck it and hit apply.
:::
::: If that doesn't work see:
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529
::: CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device.
:::
::: --
:::