Dual boot Win XP Media Center Edition and Win XP Pro

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

      24th Jan 2006
I have Windows XP Professional (2001) and Windows XP Media Center Edition
(2004). Both are OEM discs.

1) Can I create a Multiple-boot System (on a Dell Inspiron 6000)?

2) If yes, can I do it without loosing the factory restore partion (which
has Windows XP Media Center Edition in it).

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      24th Jan 2006
I wouldn't recommend it. I would suggest purchasing a
new hard drive and install Media Center on it, then
you can just swap drives.

BTW, Media Center will not offer any advantages
unless your PC includes the hardware necessary to
support the unique Media Center features.

This page provides answers to frequently asked questions about Microsoft
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...ation/faq.mspx

Media Center PC Design - Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...r/default.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Bill" wrote:

| I have Windows XP Professional (2001) and Windows XP Media Center Edition
| (2004). Both are OEM discs.
|
| 1) Can I create a Multiple-boot System (on a Dell Inspiron 6000)?
|
| 2) If yes, can I do it without loosing the factory restore partion (which
| has Windows XP Media Center Edition in it).

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

      24th Jan 2006
Thank you very much. You are a great help.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> I wouldn't recommend it. I would suggest purchasing a
> new hard drive and install Media Center on it, then
> you can just swap drives.
>
> BTW, Media Center will not offer any advantages
> unless your PC includes the hardware necessary to
> support the unique Media Center features.
>
> This page provides answers to frequently asked questions about Microsoft
> Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...ation/faq.mspx
>
> Media Center PC Design - Overview
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...r/default.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!

> "Bill" wrote:
>
> | I have Windows XP Professional (2001) and Windows XP Media Center Edition
> | (2004). Both are OEM discs.
> |
> | 1) Can I create a Multiple-boot System (on a Dell Inspiron 6000)?
> |
> | 2) If yes, can I do it without loosing the factory restore partion (which
> | has Windows XP Media Center Edition in it).

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

      1st Feb 2006
I would like to back up the Symantec System Restore "program" that came with
my Dell laptop.

Is there a way to access the factory restore partition and copy whats in on
it to a CD?

My version of Windows XP Pro is an OEM Reinstallation CD and I'm told I'll
loose all partitions.

Thanks again.